Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who is thinking about getting rid of her old Caprice, and getting a Taurus. She loves my car, but wants a wagon. I know the wagon is a somewhat rarity around here, but I don't know anything about the wagon. Does it drive much differently than the sedan? From what I have been looking up on the wagon, it seems to be much, much like the sedan. The wagon model really shows how big of a car the Gen IV is. Any big problems with them I should know about?

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
I think the most siginificant difference between the sedan and wagon is that the wagon comes with rear disc brakes. Also, I think the Gen4 wagon has a foldable jump seat so you can carry 2 additional small passengers (kids) in the cargo area if need be (I know this was true for Gen2 models, I'm not sure if it was carried over on the 3/4's)

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I noticed the jump seat. The Caprice has that too. It faces out the back of the vehicle. I would almost buy a wagon for rear disc, and the amazing cargo room it looks to have inside. Are there any wagon owners on here?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Originally posted by Majisto@Apr 28 2004, 07:26 PM
Are there any wagon owners on here?

Does it drive much differently than the sedan?
I don't own one of the new wagons, but I did own a Gen 1 wagon and my parents currently own a Gen 2 wagon. Overall, I like the wagon and would get one again.

I've never really noticed all that much of a difference in driving a Taurus wagon. A bit more heavy, I guess. And maybe it wouldn't handle as well as the sedan if you "ran the numbers" on a track, but I don't think the average driver would notice.

I like the extra space, that's for sure. I was able to fit a good amount of stuff in there.

My 90 wagon had the Vulcan and I thought it was a bit underpowered...but, I always got the impression that my 90 was the slowest Taurus built that year. My parents' 94 wagon has the Essex and moves along just fine.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does it squeak, rattle or anything? Also want to know what the limit is on the jump seat, and if it's a lawyer #, or an engineering #.

·
Registered
411 Posts
What year is the Caprice? What engine? Remember, she is going from a V-8 RWD Full-size to a V-6 FWD Mid-Size.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
I have both Gen IV's and you can tell the difference. It's not a bad thing, I just think the wagon's springs are too soft. It makes it feel heavier.
As for performance, you really can't tell by the seat of your pants which one is faster.
As for the extra space, it's great. We just got back from a road trip from MD to Orlando and everything fit in the rear below the top of the back seat. We had two suitcases, a full size baby stroller, a box of snacks, a box with our cameras, a couple of pillows and some other junk. Had we taken the sedan, we would have had to get a roof top cargo carrier. It's also nice to have a roof rack. We drove down with some family and with the extra jump seat in the back we could go the parks in one car and save on parking. I just bungee'd the stroller the roof and off we went.
And as far as comparing it to the Caprice, like JJ57 is saying, there are two different cars. I can say however that I never felt under powered rolling down the interstate fully loaded.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I traded a 01 Duratec bull sedan for a 03 duratec sable wagon and the wagon actually it handles BETTER. When pushed hard (really hard) in a corner (a 360 degree on ramp) the rear holds MUCH better with less bounce with hardly any float. I know there is a completely different suspension on the rear of the wagons, and different rear sway bars. The rear springs are also stiffer than the ones in my sedan were, even though the part numbers are the same. The rear feels as stiff as the front on hard corners and speed bumps. My wagon's rear end actually sits higher than my sedan did, which means it doesn't squat like all sedans do. As for the extra 100 lbs. or so, my wagon was a late 03 production so I think I got the 04 improvements on the Duratec. I had a removed silencer and a CAI on my 01 with only 26k miles and my 03 pulls noticeably harder and responded better from the first test drive, I couldn't believe it.
It's sorta cool to have a loaded up wagon that handles this well and pulls hard too. God that sounds old doesn't it. Scott.

·
Registered
230 Posts
i had a gen 1 wagon. i liked it alot, but it seemed a bit heavy for the vulcan. also the back tires had a nasty tendancy to get loose. (oversteer can be fun SOMETIMES) but as far as space and comfort go, it's great.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's an '86 Caprice with the Olds 307 motor. To call this car fast would be a joke. This thing can barely get out of its own way. Could have fooled me it was a V-8. Also, it has 160K miles on it. The engine and transmission have both been re-built once, and it is having electrical problems now. It is time for it to go.

Yes, the Taurus is a mid-size compared to it. That Caprice is a tank, but she says it's time to get a newer car that doesn't cost so much to operate. She said my sedan was large enough for what she liked, so I don't think the Taurus will be too small. To be honest, the Taurus is a full-size in today's car market.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I drive a gen I wagon. I also test drove my friends civic, and I like my Taurus better. It feels more like a car. (sorry if this is irrelevant).

I am going to detail the Taurus and sell it this summer. I will try to get $1500 (haha...no...dont laugh).

After that, I want to get a fully loaded Gen IV. Wagons are rarer and more expensive, but I will be on the lookout.

Oh, and does anyone know why I am getting 13 mpg on my taurus? (Gen I vulcan Wagon)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts