Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing some research on this subject so if anybody can help me w/this that would be wonderful thank you! Oh and i would like for people who are in the process of doing this or have already done this to leave their HP/TQ amounts plz and thank you.

Also if any Vulcan GEN IV owners are wondering the same thing I ask for people to leave info about those engines as well.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
I have a cold air intake, 1.7:1 rocker arms, ported lower intake manifold, composite upper intake manifold, 60mm tb, catless y-pipe, exhaust, and a semi-conservative e85 tune. Made 146whp/171wtq. That's about 188/217 at the crank.

With ported heads, and perhaps a higher compression motor, I'd make a LOT more.

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
More than the trade in value of your car. Everything is going to be custom basically. There are no "bolt-on" kits for this. And even if you did the turbo, you'd need to upgrade everything else: suspension, brakes, transmission...

Transmission rebuilt to handle that power - easily $2500 if not more
Brake/tire upgrades - $1000 minimum
Suspension - $600 minimum

That's not including the price of doing anything with your engine

A tune is $350

Hopefully that should give you some sort of idea on costs.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
I'd imagine a 400hp N/A duratec should be mated to something a little more exciting (and strong) than the disgusting 4-speed auto that comes in these Tauruses.

A turbo car wouldn't be as tragic mated to the auto, since you wouldnt have to take the revs out to eleventy billion RPM to get into the big power.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
QUOTE (soccernamlak @ Jun 17 2009, 01:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=732997
More than the trade in value of your car. Everything is going to be custom basically. There are no "bolt-on" kits for this. And even if you did the turbo, you'd need to upgrade everything else: suspension, brakes, transmission...

A tune is $350

Hopefully that should give you some sort of idea on costs.[/b]

I've looked in to turbocharging seriously, the cams, injectors, fuel pump, completely custom exhaust system (manifolds and all) and the completely custom intake manifold and turbo will run at more than $4K and then have to be tuned on a dyno...

The estimate for the complete rebuild of the transmission making it hardier is dead on. It isn't a custom job and several of the guys here have done it.

The tune is way low. The cost of the X3 is 350 but the dyno runs are anywhere from 140-400 an hour.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank u all 4 ur cooperation it sounds like i got all the cooperation i needed nd i even got a price check nd honestly i thought it would have been way more expensive then that nd im talkin from 15k to 100k but its not even goin 2 be close 2 10k nd wat makes it great is that these r the newer tauruses that u can tune into beast like this I LOVE IT! now im gonna buy me a nice taurus ses or sel nd tune it up cuz im tired of my vulcan se so thanks alot guys! i love this forum. :D

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Here's where twin-turbo Duratecs live...from Top Gear :coolgleam:

Noble M12 GTO

And their newer car: Noble M15

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
QUOTE (2000Sable @ Jun 17 2009, 02:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=733014

A tune is $350

I've looked in to turbocharging seriously, the cams, injectors, fuel pump, completely custom exhaust system (manifolds and all) and the completely custom intake manifold and turbo will run at more than $4K and then have to be tuned on a dyno...

The estimate for the complete rebuild of the transmission making it hardier is dead on. It isn't a custom job and several of the guys here have done it.

The tune is way low. The cost of the X3 is 350 but the dyno runs are anywhere from 140-400 an hour.
[/b][/quote]

You dont need cams for turbos and in fact they can hurt you if not done right. It should be the last thing you do.

I think you might only need the manifold because yours might have the cat inside or near it, other then that its not really needed.

Your plastic intake should be up for the job at least for low boost.

·
Registered
146 Posts
QUOTE (LOUDSHO92 @ Jun 19 2009, 12:01 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=733486

A tune is $350

[/b][/quote]

You dont need cams for turbos and in fact they can hurt you if not done right. It should be the last thing you do.

I think you might only need the manifold because yours might have the cat inside or near it, other then that its not really needed.

[/b][/quote]

I have a Vulcan not a duratech but I am in the process of posting more pics of the install. Check out this post. I have an 06 Taurus.
http://taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?show...mp;#entry735613

A turbo on this car can be done and effectively for under 6K.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (Sabunimwil @ Jun 27 2009, 10:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=735616
QUOTE (LOUDSHO92 @ Jun 19 2009, 12:01 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=733486

A tune is $350

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

I have a Vulcan not a duratech but I am in the process of posting more pics of the install. Check out this post. I have an 06 Taurus.
http://taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?show...mp;#entry735613

A turbo on this car can be done and effectively for under 6K.
[/b][/quote]

If you're running low boost. Otherwise, Personally, I really wouldn't put more than 5-8PSI. but with forged parts I'm going to run 10-13 pounds. (i'm going to supercharge mine)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts