Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

My '03 Sable had an erratic idle. In short, I fixed a vacuum leak, replaced the IAC and spark plugs (80K on the car) and had the PCM updated with the latest code. It runs much better now.

From the Motorcraftservice.com website it says that the latest calibration is p/n 3U7A-12A650-GAB (abbreviated: 3U7A-GAB I think). I had the PCM updated at a local shop and they used a J2534 pass through tool and the Ford website.

I just purchased a OBD2 scanner (Actron CP9580, very nice tools btw, it can read live PCM data, very cool) that can also read the vehicle's info:

It is reading the VIN# as blank which I find rather odd as it can read the vin off my 2001 Corvette and a 2009 Ford Focus (two cars I have access to).

The CVN (calibration verification number) read as: CC 45 5D B4

And the Calibration ID read as: FHAG0V4.HEX

Questions in case anyone knows the mystery to all this:

- Why is the VIN blank and is this a problem?

- If anyone has access to their PCM data on a GEN IV DOHC (without traction control, apparently that may make a difference) do you read the same CVN and Cal ID?

My fear is that the wrong PCM firmware may have been loaded (unlikely but the guy doing the update seemed to run into a couple of issues...now I wish I sprang the extra $$$ to take it to a Dealership).

Sure would like to know that the code in my PCM is correct, thanks.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
There should be a white sticker on the passenger side strut tower with a 4 digit code. This is the factory catch code for the PCM. Any flashing that has been done to it has over written certain parts of it. I assume with a full blow interconnecting software you can pull the most recent calibration out.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
If everything is working then you are probably OK. It is when there is major differences with the options like you suggested or when the PCMs memory or chip speed are different that is dangerous for flashing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I've doing some research and apparently Ford (unlike GM) does not publish their Calibration ID or CVN codes as they relate to their code loads so when you read your PCM's CAL ID or CVN you cannot tell if you have the latest code load.

On the off chance that someone out there has 2003 DOHC vehicle and can use their scan tool read out the Cal ID and CVN, I'd be very interested to know what it is.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The only real way is to use the Ford software to pull out the calibration.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know this is an old thread but if this guy is still around he might like to know...

I scanned my 03 Sable LS DOHC and the calibration ID was also FHAG0V4. I also cannot see my VIN in the scanner but its not locked to this vehicle so it has no reason to store it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did confirm with Ford that this is the latest PCM Code for the 2003 DOHC:

Code P/N: 3U7A-12A650-GAB; abbreviated: 3U7A-GAB
CVN: CC 45 5D B4
CAL ID: FHAG0V4.HEX

1 - 8 of 8 Posts