Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it required to remove the brake calipers on a gen iv to replace the brake pads. i can replace the rear shoes easy enough, but whenever i have tried to remove calipers on other vehicles, it has always turned out to be a headache.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Remove the bottom bolt holding the calipers on and rotate the caliper up. This is the method specified in the Haynes manual. They were a PITA to get loose when I changed mine a few weeks ago.

I removed the entire caliper and hung it from my spring with a coat hanger so I could remove the rotor, but it isn't necessary to remove the whole thing to just change the pads. However, having said that, I highly recommend to have the rotors turned while you are in there simply because of the brake problem the Taurus has.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by Mantioch@Oct 13 2004, 09:54 AM
highly recommend to have the rotors turned while you are in there simply because of the brake problem the Taurus has.
Brake problem? :unsure:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Rotor warpage seems to be an issue on these cars, particularly on the Gen IV, or so it seems. Its recommended to check and turn the rotors if necessary during any pad change, anyway.

·
Premium Member
14,127 Posts
After removing both slider pin bolts I just stick a big screwdriver on the rotor edge and under the caliper and pry up. You can also loosen the bleeder screw and pry the caliper side to side to push the piston in a bit.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Originally posted by Mantioch@Oct 13 2004, 10:16 AM
Rotor warpage seems to be an issue on these cars, particularly on the Gen IV, or so it seems. Its recommended to check and turn the rotors if necessary during any pad change, anyway.
1st time I changed my brakes and got the rotors cut they warped like a mofo in about 3 weeks. I switched to Napa pads and rotors and haven't had a problem since. B)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Yep. Beware the cheap crap. As teh bob mentioned in another thread, AutoZone rotors and performance friction carbon-metallic pads are very good. I bought them both at Autozone a few weeks ago when I did mine.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I had to fix a friends brake screw up on his 00 SE. Whatever you do dont strip the slider pin bolts. They are 40 dollars a set from Ford. I asked the guy working at the dealership if they were gold plated, he laughed and said they were the most expensive set of bolts he has ever sold there. I knew Ford was high on prices but at the time they were only avalible from Ford and I dont know if they have them aftermarket now. Be careful and take your time. Must be that little rubber piece on the end that makes them so expensive :unsure:

G

·
The Performance Friction Carbon Metallic Pads and Aimco rotors are working great for me. They've been on there for the last ~15k miles. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts