Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into finally installing a 4300k bi-xenon kit to the factory headlamps. There are sooo many kits available when looking on eBay. There was a forum sponsor I believe that was selling decent kits, but had to be modded to work 100%. I had toyed with the idea of creating my own custom headlamps, but I do not have the time to play around with it.

Anyone have any experience or recommend a kit that is truly Plug-n-Play and does not require any modifications?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (michakaveli @ Apr 23 2009, 10:22 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=719909
Looking into finally installing a 4300k bi-xenon kit to the factory headlamps. There are sooo many kits available when looking on eBay. There was a forum sponsor I believe that was selling decent kits, but had to be modded to work 100%. I had toyed with the idea of creating my own custom headlamps, but I do not have the time to play around with it.

Anyone have any experience or recommend a kit that is truly Plug-n-Play and does not require any modifications?

Thanks![/b]
The best thing to do is to get the one's that moves the bulb. This moves the "Hot Spot" into position on the reflector that "activates" the high beams. So you wont have to fool with projectors.

Essentially how our "Dual Beam Bulb" Setups work is by moving the "Hot Spot" (where the light is produced) in the bulb into a different position the reflector. This is achieved by having "Dual Filaments" The second filament CAN (but may not be) a higher wattage in order to increase light output. But usually the bulbs are "55W/55W" which means high beams and low beams are 55Watts. Whereas 55W/85W would mean the low beams are 55watts and the high beams are 85 Watts. Its pretty self explanatory.

Well, In the case of a Xenon H.I.D. Setup, there is an "Arc" that is created inside the bulb (sometimes called an "Arc Tube") Now, in order for this arc to be maintained properly, the distance must be maintained, and only one arc can be kept in one vacuum. Most HID vehicles come equipped with "Projectors" a device that focuses the light and has a "Shutter" system that blocks excessive light until you activate the high beams, in which it opens and lets light out. That is why the majority of HID kits are "Single Beam"

ALL HID KITS WILL ALWAYS BE SINGLE BEAM Unless specifically specified as "Bi-Xenon" In which, the Bulb usually either moves In and out of its holder shifting the hot spot, or Tilts to move the hot spot. The "Hot Spot" is where the arc generates its most light.

Now.. Running HID's without projectors will cause "glare" a phenomena that blinds other drivers and can cause you to get Flashed or pulled over for "Failure to Dim/Dip headlights" Not all housings will produce glare, but it will be produced to some extent due to plastic's innate ability to fracture light everywhere. Projectors also focus the beam effectively on the road, reducing glare. Fogged or crazed lenses will cause excessive glare with or without projectors.

The best choice, is to just go with a "Bi-xenon" kit and do the "Bulb Mod" which cuts a new slot in the holder to focus the light appropriately. I cant find the link right now.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Chances are, if any of the ebay kits use the same solenoid setup to make the lamps "bi-xenon", they'll need modification as well. Oh how I wish retro-solutions could re-design theirs, so that the arc sat in the proper position in the headlight housing. :whine:

·
Registered
402 Posts
What about those bi-xenon kits with the two xenon bulbs per bulb. Anybody tried those yet? Supposed to be true bi-xenon or something? They come with four ballast. Wonder how those work. :hmm:
Here's a pic.
[attachment=29268:20081209...94510776.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (FFVulcanPowah @ Apr 23 2009, 04:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=720013
Chances are, if any of the ebay kits use the same solenoid setup to make the lamps "bi-xenon", they'll need modification as well. Oh how I wish retro-solutions could re-design theirs, so that the arc sat in the proper position in the headlight housing. :whine:[/b]
How do you still like your kit?

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Flawless operation since day one. Once the mod was done (day one, lol), the light output was perfect. Very close to stock/halogens. :)

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (Skinnyguy59 @ Apr 23 2009, 06:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=720032
What about those bi-xenon kits with the two xenon bulbs per bulb. Anybody tried those yet? Supposed to be true bi-xenon or something? They come with four ballast. Wonder how those work. :hmm:
Here's a pic.
[attachment=29268:20081209...94510776.jpg][/b]
I have never seen those, But i wouldn't think they would work correctly in our cars because our bulbs shift their hot spots vertically, not horizontally, also, i think that HID Kit probably uses BOTH arc simultaneously to achieve a "Brighter" light output instead of shifting the hot spot and using the reflector. I don't know about them.

·
Registered
402 Posts
QUOTE (Mediarocker @ Apr 23 2009, 08:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=720059
What about those bi-xenon kits with the two xenon bulbs per bulb. Anybody tried those yet? Supposed to be true bi-xenon or something? They come with four ballast. Wonder how those work. :hmm:[/b]
I have never seen those, But i wouldn't think they would work correctly in our cars because our bulbs shift their hot spots vertically, not horizontally, also, i think that HID Kit probably uses BOTH arc simultaneously to achieve a "Brighter" light output instead of shifting the hot spot and using the reflector. I don't know about them.
[/b][/quote]
Don't know. They're supposed to be 9007s though.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (Skinnyguy59 @ Apr 23 2009, 07:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=720062
QUOTE (Mediarocker @ Apr 23 2009, 08:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=720059
What about those bi-xenon kits with the two xenon bulbs per bulb. Anybody tried those yet? Supposed to be true bi-xenon or something? They come with four ballast. Wonder how those work. :hmm:[/b]
[/b][/quote]
Don't know. They're supposed to be 9007s though.
[/b][/quote]

EDIT: I feel stupid. I just reread your post. LOL

BUt yeah IDK about those bulbs... At all. I've never seen anything like it.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Looks good, in theory. It'd take the warm-up time (~30 secs) for the highs to be useful. If you needed them for a long duration, then I suppose they wouldn't be too bad. The movable arc isn't the best, but it is instant.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (FFVulcanPowah @ Apr 23 2009, 07:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=720067
Looks good, in theory. It'd take the warm-up time (~30 secs) for the highs to be useful. If you needed them for a long duration, then I suppose they wouldn't be too bad. The movable arc isn't the best, but it is instant.[/b]
But they way they are positioned I would think they would just be ULTRA BRIGHT Low beams. Because the high beams utilize the reflector to scatter light more :dunno:

·
Registered
402 Posts
QUOTE (Mediarocker @ Apr 24 2009, 12:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=720204
QUOTE (FFVulcanPowah @ Apr 23 2009, 07:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=720067
Looks good, in theory. It'd take the warm-up time (~30 secs) for the highs to be useful. If you needed them for a long duration, then I suppose they wouldn't be too bad. The movable arc isn't the best, but it is instant.[/b]
But they way they are positioned I would think they would just be ULTRA BRIGHT Low beams. Because the high beams utilize the reflector to scatter light more :dunno:
[/b][/quote]
Well the other be-xenon ones I seen had one xenon bulb that moved to and fro not in and out(so they went from straight to an angled position). So this looks kind of like the same thing except with two xenon bulbs. One arc is probably for high beam and is positioned above the low beam arc. So light should be hitting a different area of the reflector just like how our halogen ones work. I thought they looked interesting.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Why would you want 4300k? And don't get a kit off of eBay, you will get ripped off. What was posted is not a 9007 bixenon kit, a true kit has a moving bulb so that there is no delay when you switch to your Highbeams. Only two ballasts, only two bulbs necessary in my kit:
This is one pic

And another

Another

One more

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Looking for a good kit? McCollouh (SP) FTW

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
4300k has the greatest output, in lumens. The greater the lumens the greater the "useful" light being emitted and projected onto the roadway.

·
Registered
402 Posts
QUOTE (SableNave @ Apr 25 2009, 01:45 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=720389
Why would you want 4300k? And don't get a kit off of eBay, you will get ripped off. What was posted is not a 9007 bixenon kit, a true kit has a moving bulb so that there is no delay when you switch to your Highbeams. Only two ballasts, only two bulbs necessary in my kit.[/b]
Don't know about you but I have seen different types of "bi-xenon" kits for the 9007.
The 9007-1 is the traditional xenon hid kit(low beams only).
Listed as the 9007-2 is a xenon kit consisting of the xenon low beam/halogen high beam. With the halogen bulb placed directly next to the xenon bulb. Two ballast are used.
Listed as the 9007-3 is the telescopic bi-xenon(like yours). Where the xenon bulb moves for high and low beams. Two ballast are used.
And the ones I posted before are listed as the 9007-4 bi-xenon. Where you have two xenon bulbs per bulb. One for high beam and one for low beam. Four ballast are used.
So there are a total of four xenon kits for our cars. And I have to agree with michakaveli. 4300k has the greatest light output in lumens. Some people would rather upgrade to xenon to see better at night, not make their ride look cool because it's a different color temperature.

I found all four types of xenon upgrades at this web site:
http://www.doopchina.com/products/hid-bulbs.html

Now I'm not saying to buy from there. It was just the only site I could find that had all four types together and pictured.

·
Registered
167 Posts
QUOTE (Skinnyguy59 @ Apr 25 2009, 04:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=720522
Why would you want 4300k? And don't get a kit off of eBay, you will get ripped off. What was posted is not a 9007 bixenon kit, a true kit has a moving bulb so that there is no delay when you switch to your Highbeams. Only two ballasts, only two bulbs necessary in my kit.[/b]
Don't know about you but I have seen different types of "bi-xenon" kits for the 9007.
Listed as the 9007-2 is a xenon kit consisting of the xenon low beam/halogen high beam. With the halogen bulb placed directly next to the xenon bulb. Two ballast are used.
Listed as the 9007-3 is the telescopic bi-xenon(like yours). Where the xenon bulb moves for high and low beams. Two ballast are used.
And the ones I posted before are listed as the 9007-4 bi-xenon. Where you have two xenon bulbs per bulb. One for high beam and one for low beam. Four ballast are used.
So there are a total of four xenon kits for our cars. And I have to agree with michakaveli. 4300k has the greatest light output in lumens. Some people would rather upgrade to xenon to see better at night, not make their ride look cool because it's a different color temperature.

Now I'm not saying to buy from there. It was just the only site I could find that had all four types together and pictured.
[/b][/quote]

Yeah, I see what you mean. I like my kit though, and if you like yours, thats all that matters. HID's FTW! I still have good output, just not as "white" as the 4300K kits. There are 30,000K kits out there, and they are useless....

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
QUOTE (SableNave @ Apr 25 2009, 02:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=720533
QUOTE (Skinnyguy59 @ Apr 25 2009, 04:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=720522

[/b][/quote]

Yeah, I see what you mean. I like my kit though, and if you like yours, thats all that matters. HID's FTW! I still have good output, just not as "white" as the 4300K kits. There are 30,000K kits out there, and they are useless....
[/b][/quote]
the one i like to use is from V-HID.com good quality and super easy harnesses
!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts