Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to do a radiator drain/flush on Monday (payday). Was looking for the drain plug on the radiator, but can't find it. Is it underneath the plastic cover on the bottom of the car? I couldn't see it, but I guess that doesn't mean it isn't there.

Any help would be appreciated. Also, is there a certain way I need to flush it? I read a few things on the site here, but they're for a Vulcan OHV and I have a Duratec.

Any tips would be great. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I believe that the drain plug is on the right side of the radiator,
underneath the black plastic shield. Remove that first, and you should see it.

JR

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I didn't want to take that cover off if it wasn't under there.

Any tips on how to flush it? The tutorial on the site here, as I said, is for a Vulcan. Is it different for a Duratec?

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I would assume that flushing a radiator is flushing a radiator. There shouldn't be anything that is different between a Vulcan and a 'tec. The process is the same, AFAIK.

JR

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rock on. Thanks a bunch. Anything I should watch out for? Like, common stuff that can go bad if I'm not careful?

Again, thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
No problem. The only things you really need to make sure of are that you don't burn yourself, since coolant gets really hot and the system IS pressurized. Make sure you don't strip anything. Make sure you clean up all the coolant and dispose of it properly.

JR

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
On the passenger side is a tee where a 1" hose from the degasser tank connects to the lower radiator hose. it is the easiest to get to and take apart and is also the lowest point in the system. You do not need to take the plastic air deflector out.

Attachments

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
draining it there is the same as doing it at the drain plug?

also, is there one chemical flush that's betterthan the rest, or is it a matter of opinion?

thanks

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I don't know what you mean by the same as. Draining is draining. This is the lowest point of the cooling system. This means that you will get all the coolant that is possible by means of gravity draining out of the cooling system.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts