Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw where someone had done this - I think it is a good idea as I have an aftermarket deck and the position of the stereo is terrible. Mine has Ipod controls and it is a real bitch to use when driving.

I saw the write up but no one said if they liked it nor was there a final shot - at least it was blanked out on my PC. Anyone do this?

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I saw where someone had done this - I think it is a good idea as I have an aftermarket deck and the position of the stereo is terrible. Mine has Ipod controls and it is a real bitch to use when driving.

I saw the write up but no one said if they liked it nor was there a final shot - at least it was blanked out on my PC. Anyone do this?
[/b]
No one? I would have thought others though that the stereo position on the Gen ii's was bad as well.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Swapping the HVAC control and the radio, so the radio is up by the clock near the top of the dash? It's been done, and personally I think it looks better and is more functional.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree, more functional but can you make it look like factory - that's the question.

·
Registered
205 Posts
if you put the radio up that high, then it kind of makes the AUX buttons (seek, vol-up, vol-down, presets) kind of useless, and then what would you do with that spot? One of the reasons that i didn't want to get an aftermarket stereo was the fact that i would lose the use of those buttons. I get comments all the time from riders in my car that they really like the fact that i have those buttons. I did learn however that on a lot of newer stereos you can get an interface that will still allow the use of those buttons which keeps them still useful with a better stereo. My plan is to get a stereo that is double tall that would take up the entire section previously used by the stereo/cup holder (or covered compartment depending on what model you have) With a stereo such as this, not only could you retain the use of the stock AUX buttons, but most stereos nowadays come with a remote. Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you put the radio up that high, then it kind of makes the AUX buttons (seek, vol-up, vol-down, presets) kind of useless, and then what would you do with that spot? One of the reasons that i didn't want to get an aftermarket stereo was the fact that i would lose the use of those buttons. I get comments all the time from riders in my car that they really like the fact that i have those buttons. I did learn however that on a lot of newer stereos you can get an interface that will still allow the use of those buttons which keeps them still useful with a better stereo. My plan is to get a stereo that is double tall that would take up the entire section previously used by the stereo/cup holder (or covered compartment depending on what model you have) With a stereo such as this, not only could you retain the use of the stock AUX buttons, but most stereos nowadays come with a remote. Just my 2 cents.
[/b]
I hear ya. But I just could not keep the tape deck so I opted for a unit from crutchfiled that controls the Ipod. I do not see how an aftermarket deck would still allow you to use those buttons. Anyways, even with a double deck stereo, it would still be a bugger to control. I think this would be a great switch, if you can make it factory looking. My car is pretty clean for a 13 year old ride, I would hate to jack up the dash like that.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Grab a vent panel from the junkyard and hack that up so it fits the stereo. Then you can have the bezel that comes with the radio sit on the outside of the dash bezel. That's how you can make it look factory.

And with the redundant buttons, there is a $70 add-on that you plug the buttons into and it acts as a wireless remote to your new radio. It's not worth it.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I had the dash apart to put in my white face guages and I decided to tackle this. Stereo just fits, barely. I held it in place w/it's sleeve which was just a little too small - but I made it work, Now I have to find a way to attach the HVAC controls where the stereo is. I mean was.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Done! And it looks like it came from the factory like that!

[attachmentid=27810]

[attachmentid=27811]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,968 Posts

[attachmentid=27810]

[attachmentid=27811]
[/b]
Pretty nifty... I agree with the guy about the aux controls too... People wouldn't believe that my 93 had those! Heres a million dollar idea, wire the aux volume button to turn up/down the heat and make the the other buttons change the blower speed/position :p

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<div class='quotemain'>

[attachmentid=27810]

[attachmentid=27811]
[/b]
Pretty nifty... I agree with the guy about the aux controls too... People wouldn't believe that my 93 had those! Heres a million dollar idea, wire the aux volume button to turn up/down the heat and make the the other buttons change the blower speed/position :p
[/b][/quote]

Don't tempt me!

·
Registered
35 Posts
you said there was a write up on this, do you have a link? im seriously considering this. I just got a 95 LX with the electronic climate controls so im hoping i can still move them.

·
Registered
244 Posts
:thumb:

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts