Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to replace the alternator in my son's 2001 Sable with the 3.0L Vulcan, but when I try to remove the long alternator mounting bolt, the coolant reservoir is in the way and the bolt won't back out enough to remove it. Do you have to move the coolant reservoir to get the long alternator bolt off? Also, I've tried to remove the coolant reservoir, but the rear bolt of the two that secure the reservoir is rusted and won't budge. Before I drill the thing out, do I absolutely have to move the coolant reservoir to change this alternator? Thanks. Ken

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
I am trying to replace the alternator in my son's 2001 Sable with the 3.0L Vulcan, but when I try to remove the long alternator mounting bolt, the coolant reservoir is in the way and the bolt won't back out enough to remove it. Do you have to move the coolant reservoir to get the long alternator bolt off? Also, I've tried to remove the coolant reservoir, but the rear bolt of the two that secure the reservoir is rusted and won't budge. Before I drill the thing out, do I absolutely have to move the coolant reservoir to change this alternator? Thanks. Ken
I've never had to remove a reservoir. As the bolt is removed, you should be able to move the alternator sideways enough to allow the bolt to come out all the way at an angle. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I had tried tilting the alternator but couldn't seem to find an angle that would allow me to get the pivot bolt out. I'll try it again.

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
hi,

just pull the bolt out until it touches the hose on the top of the coolant tank.

it can stay in that position and you can lift the alternator up and out.

regards

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help. I got the alternator out. After removing the other alternator securing bolts, I backed out of the pivot bolt until it contacted the coolant reservoir. I actully had to use a little pry bar to get enough of an angle to slide it off the pivot bolt, but it did come out without damaging the pivot bolt or alternator mounting frame.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts