Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

41 - 60 of 146 Posts

·
Administrator
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
The write up is done very well, but it is for an incomplete job. You are leaving almost half of the dirty / used trans fluid in your car. I could never understand why people do half a job and have a false sense of security from it. How many people change 2.5 qts of motor oil and install a new filter??? My guess would be none. Then why do the same thing with your transmission?? We all know that the Taurus transmissions have problems, so why do you take shortcuts and hope it covers a possible problem?

Just my 2 cents worth.
Well thats an interesting point. Many people say you SHOULD NOT remove the old fluid and replace it with entirely new fluid. Especially on a car that you don't know the history on the fluid changes. So this may not make much sense, but it's bad to do a complete flush on a car with 100k miles on the original filter. Hopefully someone that understands more can chime in!

Sheila has used the exact method I have written up and showed that it works. Drops the pan, replaces the filter and fills it back up. She has had over 3 last MORE than 300k miles on the original transmission with this procedure.

Just my two cents back atchya :p

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Well thats an interesting point. Many people say you SHOULD NOT remove the old fluid and replace it with entirely new fluid. Especially on a car that you don't know the history on the fluid changes. So this may not make much sense, but it's bad to do a complete flush on a car with 100k miles on the original filter. Hopefully someone that understands more can chime in!

Sheila has used the exact method I have written up and showed that it works. Drops the pan, replaces the filter and fills it back up. She has had over 3 last MORE than 300k miles on the original transmission with this procedure.

Just my two cents back atchya :p
:eek: LMAO Sam....... :p
Im not saying its not going to work or have any benefit. It is much better than not changing it at all. But with your thinking, if you don't know how often the engine oil was changed, you should change the filter and half the oil??? The pan / filter / partial fluid change is what I would call a band aid. Now if you do this then within a few thousand miles change out all the fluid and a new filter, that would be better. But buy leaving in half of the dirty fluid, as soon as you start the car you are cutting the life of that new filter in half. That new filter is going to trap left over dirt / contaminants from that old fluid. You also have fluid that had de-graded due to heat and contaminants mixing with new fluid, lowering the overall quality of that new fluid as well. By most standards, you have cut the useful life of the filter & new fluid by half. So instead of changing fluid every 30k you should think about doing it within 15k miles.
BTW, I have over 10 years hydraulic training from Vickers & Parker as well as hydraulic maintenance training though U.S. Steel, so I kinda know what I am talking about with hydraulics. B)

Im not saying the other ways wont work, just saying what is the best way to do the job.

·
Administrator
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Just curious though, why do they say not to do a full flush if you know the transmission hasn't had a change in way over the proper interval? I agree doing a full flush probably is the best way to go. Thats why my hard shifting came back right before I sold it. Since there was no magnet in the pan, the new filter was clogged very quickly (probably).

With my 2008 I will never do a full flush since the filter isn't user serviceable. The flush interval the dealer recommends is every 150k, however it had it done once at 60k and I will be draining and refilling the pan (it has a drain plug) every 30k from now on. Best way to keep that fluid fresh.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Who is THEY that says not to do a complete flush??

Changing out all the fluid is not bad sounds like more mis info

Doing the power flush might be what THEY mean

Do not think it matters either way if its a full flush or a pan drop

I dont think mine got changed untill 45k the 1st time i did it at 86k irc both times were a pan drop

tranny works great fluid looked nice and pink when it got changed very little on the magnet

·
Administrator
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Can someone please back me up? I swear I have been told from more than one source that flushing the fluid can be bad for a transmission that has gone WAY too long without a change. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Thats good if it was pink and little on the magnet. How was the filter?

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,010 Posts
Draining the fluid is okay. Flushing it is not.

Flushing it implies you've got pressure getting the fluid out. If you just drop the pan, or if you let the trans gently pump it out, you're supposed to be okay.

·
Administrator
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Hmm. Maybe I am wrong then. I still feel like I have heard from other people that you shouldn't even do that with a car that has gone, lets say, 90k miles without a filter or fluid change.

Again, I could be wrong!

·
Registered
146 Posts
If its good to change out 7.5 qts on a pan drop how can it be bad to change out the other 6 or so qts that is silly

Maybe somebody did it and used the wrong fluid or didnt get the filter in right so they blamed the tranny fluid lol woudnt be the 1st time :)

·
Administrator
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
If its good to change out 7.5 qts on a pan drop how can it be bad to change out the other 6 or so qts that is silly
It does sound silly when I think about it, but it's what I've heard. I'm probably wrong, but maybe someone who said that will read this and explain the reasoning.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,010 Posts
I'd probably feel safer changing the fluid and filter every 10k or so if you had really contaminated fluid. After two or three changes it should be mostly clean.

I know the transaxle is starting to shift rough in my parents Odyssey. 170k miles, eight years, and to the best of my knowledge the fluid has never been changed. It does have the trans cooler installed as part of the towing package, though.

At this point, I don't think it'd be worth it. It's paid off in a few months, which means it'll probably break then. :rolleyes2:

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,010 Posts
It does sound silly when I think about it, but it's what I've heard. I'm probably wrong, but maybe someone who said that will read this and explain the reasoning.
Power flushing gets lots of grit out from between the clutch plates. That then gets sucked into the valve body and causes major issues. Usually on the road home from the mechanic. :lol2:

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,010 Posts
If you do it on time, it can't hurt. Mine was power flushed by the Ford dealer at the recommended intervals, and it still shifts perfectly fine. Original trans at 131k.

Runs better, actually, since I reset the KAM in the PCM and have been retraining it to my driving style.

·
Administrator
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Sure they power flushed it? That's not the proper routine in the service manual. They are just supposed to drain the fluid out then change the filter and refill.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,010 Posts
I'll check it, but I'm pretty sure it says "Flushed".

They also put green coolant in when they're supposed to have put the gold in.

And they didn't tighten down the UIM after doing the valve cover gaskets.

See why I'm skeptical that the rear main seal is leaking?

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,010 Posts
Description is "A/T Fluid Exchange: Complete transmission fluid exhange. Removing all old transmission fluid and replacing with new fluid".

Never mentions changing the filter on any of these receipts.

This guy got taken to the cleaners, though. A lot. "Deluxe Fuel System Service" was $115. Claims they vacuum flush the intake runners, decarbonize the intake valves and combustion chamber, and flush the fuel injectors. Oh, and 'clean throttle body if acceptable to clean'.

So they stuck a can of Techron in. Seriously, those runners were not very clean, and I looked at them 2k miles down the road from this service.

New passenger mirror was $370 parts and labor. :wacko:

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'll check it, but I'm pretty sure it says "Flushed".

They also put green coolant in when they're supposed to have put the gold in.

And they didn't tighten down the UIM after doing the valve cover gaskets.

See why I'm skeptical that the rear main seal is leaking?

Did the synthetic make the valve covers leak too or did they just wear out lol

if its just some jerkoff who took it to the stealership i bet they never even changed the fluid if it looked good

changing out the fluid without replacing the filter now that calls for extra butter on the popcorn whar a joke

Nobody who knows anything about cars would allow that

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,010 Posts
Most trans shops do it that way. They suck the fluid out the dipstick tube. Not saying I agree with it.

95% of car owners have no clue what they're doing (made that number up, but considering Toyota's sales numbers, it seems accurate). Why would they protest?

It's had full synthetic, so there wasn't any way to cake on the gaskets. So they started leaking when they started leaking.

·
Administrator
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Weird. The dealer changed my trans fluid twice and replaced the filter both times on the 2000. I'll look at the invoice if I remember tomorrow. I don't exactly remember what it says.

That is sad that they did that crappy of a job.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,010 Posts
Just because it doesn't say they did it doesn't mean they didn't.

Doesn't mean they did either, obviously. Still, fluid is clean.

41 - 60 of 146 Posts