Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 40 of 146 Posts

·
Administrator
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
That's for a full flush. This is easier and some people think it's better for the transmission.

Sheila, isn't that what you do every 30k? Just a pan drop and filter change?

·
Registered
22,585 Posts
^ Yes. Sam, off topic, but I've been meaning to ask if this past week's big storm affected you in St. Louis???

·
Administrator
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
LOL, I replied to that somewhere else already! I got the storm, tornado sirens went off and everything. No damage where I was, or where my family was though so we were lucky and safe!

·
Registered
133 Posts
EXCELLENT write up. Thank you for taking time and doing this. I am seriously thinking about doing this on my 2001 vulcan as well as I am experiencing hard shifts from 1st to 2nd and hope that a pan drop may help with that.

Thank you again Breeves002!!

·
Administrator
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Anytime! Hopefully it helps you out!

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I would definitely do the pan drop, it didn't get rid of the gear mesh noise but that's because too much damage has been done I think. But it does make the car much smoother and power delivery is much better.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I was always taught at the end while waiting for it to warm up, you shift through the gears [R-N-D-N-R-N-D....] just a few times to help the oil circulate. Gives you a more true reading at the end.

·
Administrator
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Yeah I did forget to add that step. Lets it go through the valve body passages.

·
Administrator
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
No point to go to D or 1 since its going to stay in first gear no matter what.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,010 Posts
That's what Ford said to do in the manual to check the fluid level, IIRC.

·
Administrator
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Lol does it actually make a difference?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks to Sam for doing this write up.

This past weekend I found some time to drop the pan and used the plastic tote idea, worked flawless.

I just wanted to add some photos to show that the process doesnt have to be super messy. I laid a 4x8 sheet of plywood down under my car just to protect the concrete just in case, but it wasnt necessary.

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Administrator
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Smart man, congrats! Happy my writeup helped you out! I'm going to put those pics on the first post if you don't mind!

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,010 Posts
no it doesnt just like if the tire says max pressure 44 psi that does not mean thats what you should run in the tire smh
Glad to see you contributed. Then again, how many gallons did you stick in a 16 gallon tank again? :lol2:

That spec was for a Ford truck. Different transmission. Haven't checked to see if the Taurus manual calls for the same procedure or not.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Smart man, congrats! Happy my writeup helped you out! I'm going to put those pics on the first post if you don't mind!
Yeah man, do whatever you see fit!

·
Administrator
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #39

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
The factory service manual recommends a slightly different procedure. I don't have it in front of me so can't quote exactly. It does include dropping the pan but then you put in a few quarts of fresh fluid and pull a transmission cooling line from the radiator and run the engine to use the fresh fluid from the pan to pump out and replace the dirty fluid in the system. Once it stops flowing then the pan is empty. Shut it off, put the line back, and do the final fill with new fluid. I think it took 12-14 quarts total if I remember correctly.

The write up is done very well, but it is for an incomplete job. You are leaving almost half of the dirty / used trans fluid in your car. I could never understand why people do half a job and have a false sense of security from it. How many people change 2.5 qts of motor oil and install a new filter??? My guess would be none. Then why do the same thing with your transmission?? We all know that the Taurus transmissions have problems, so why do you take shortcuts and hope it covers a possible problem?

Just my 2 cents worth.

21 - 40 of 146 Posts