Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to gather information about the differences between Gen 3 and Gen 4 transmissions. I found a Gen 4 tranny with very low miles on it for a good price and thought about installing a shift kit while it is out of the car, and then swapping transmissions while I have the subframe dropped for some upcoming engine work.

Are they the same transmissions? Are they interchangeable?

S

·
0 Posts
Ask Mike (DeltarMN, I think I spelled it right...lol) He has a GEN4 tranny and shift kit in his 99 Taurus. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Sal

J

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by SableSal@Sep 14 2004, 06:10 AM
Ask Mike (DeltarMN, I think I spelled it right...lol) He has a GEN4 tranny and shift kit in his 99 Taurus. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Sal
Yeah, IIRC he has a 2000 tranny in his car. AX4N, I think... :)

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Baby SHO@Sep 14 2004, 06:47 AM
There should be absolutly no diffrence from the information ive gathered.

Go MTX! :)

Brad
I was actually thinking about it the other day. I had this day dream as I climbed into the Contour.... "I wonder what Brad's car will be like with a stick.... that's awesome B) "

But too much fab work for me right now. I'm hoping to build a tranny like SHOZ123's. Reinforced clutch packs, shift kit, LSD.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
And the Windstar final drive... :burnout:

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
waht about putting a gen4 trany (axn4) in a gen2? (axode)

J

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by crackhead@Sep 14 2004, 10:05 PM
waht about putting a gen4 trany (axn4) in a gen2? (axode)
That would be a lot of work from what I understand. The subframes are entirely different.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
yes, diffrent subframe. but thats not the issue (you can use a gen 3 subframe in a gen 2) the problem is the bellhousing.

IIRC, Paul does not have an LSD, only carter and soon to be kermit.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Damn...I got scared for a second when I read the title of this thread. I thought someone was going to stick a Gen III trans in a Gen IV. I don't think that would make a whole ton of sense.

I think it was definitely be pretty cool to put a Gen IV trans in a gen III with a shift kit. That would definitely improve shift response and would get rid of many of the quality and design flaws of the Gen III AX4N. Hell...while you're at it, stick a Gen IV 'tec in there too!

JR

·
Registered
263 Posts
Which year is the gen 4 trans from? I believe it is only the 2000 tranny that was installed in 99s. I think my 99 vulcan had a 2000 tranny in it. But I never did find out for sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts