Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new Fusion in the driveway means that after 11 years and 160k miles, my 2000 SES Vulcan is offically retiring from active duty. The $1,500 trade-in they offered me wasn't worth it, so I decided to keep it as a project for my son and I. I know a Vulcan will never be "fast", but I'd like to make it look good and drive great. My boy's got 8 years to go, but maybe it could be his first car.

At the moment it is 100% original except for fluids, filters, brake pads, rotors, tires, an A/C compressor clutch and the stereo system. After 160k the stock suspension is completely shot and brakes have always sucked, so those are the two areas we're going to tackle first. I've done a lot of research (Thank You TCCA!), but I have a few questions before I start buying parts:

1: How much will converting to Gen 3 front springs raise the car?
2: How much will converting to Gen 2 rear Cargo Coils raise the car?
3: Is there enough adjustment from doing a strut tab mod to bring the car back to factory ride height after installing the above mentioned springs or would I be better off trimming the coils?
4: After doing a rear disc conversion and a '01+ front disc upgrade, should I try to source a Gen 3 SHO master cylinder or will the stock one work?

Any help or feedback on these questions would be greatly appreciated!

And just FYI, the planned mods are:

Aluminum SFB's
24/26 Sway Bars
New Endlinks, Ball Joints and Tie Rod Ends
All New Bushings With Adjustable Rear Control Arm Bushings
Gen 3 KYB's
Gen 3 Front Coils
Gen 2 Rear Cargo Coils
01+ Front Discs
Gen 3 Rear Discs

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
I decided to keep it as a project for my son and I. My boy's got 8 years to go, but maybe it could be his first car.
That is a fantastic idea. Get him started as a gearhead from a young age. :)

1: How much will converting to Gen 3 front springs raise the car?
2: How much will converting to Gen 2 rear Cargo Coils raise the car?
3: Is there enough adjustment from doing a strut tab mod to bring the car back to factory ride height after installing the above mentioned springs or would I be better off trimming the coils?
4: After doing a rear disc conversion and a '01+ front disc upgrade, should I try to source a Gen 3 SHO master cylinder or will the stock one work?
1. Not much, compared to a stock Gen 4. They might feel a little more stiff on bumps, though.
2. Not much, compared to a stock Gen 4. If your car has bad SAS, though, it'll make a huge difference.
3. If you're trying to lower the car, cut off a dead coil on each spring.
4. Your OEM master cylinder will work fine with the brake upgrades. Don't bother messing around with it- there's no reason to do so.

And just FYI, the planned mods are:

Aluminum SFB's
24/26 Sway Bars
New Endlinks, Ball Joints and Tie Rod Ends
All New Bushings With Adjustable Rear Control Arm Bushings
Gen 3 KYB's
Gen 3 Front Coils
Gen 2 Rear Cargo Coils
01+ Front Discs
Gen 3 Rear Discs
This plan will have the Taurus carving corners like you wouldn't believe... B)

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info! I have no desire to lower the car, but I certainly don't want to raise it anymore than stock either (except correcting the typical Gen 4 SAS).

This plan will have the Taurus carving corners like you wouldn't believe... B)
I should have prefaced that this isn't my first time having the lack of sense to mod a Taurus :D My high school/college ride was a Gen 2 SHO MTX. I worked at a machine shop while I was in school. Every penny I made and then some went to either the SHOShop or my after-hours efforts to bore and offset grind an ATX 3.2 motor. On second thought, maybe I shouldn't get my boy into this hobby :huh:

·
Registered
562 Posts
My 2000 had bad SAS due to age and a broken spring on one side. I put in sensatrac struts with the gen2 cargo coils like you are considering. It corrected the SAS and was about 1/4" higher than stock right away but after they settled in about a week I checked again and they were right on stock height. It's definately a firmer and more stable ride, though I don't think it's a fair comparison because of how bad the old springs/struts were. What I like the most is that I can have the whole family in the car or the trunk loaded down and don't have the rear bumper draggin on the ground!

I was considering a front brake upgrade like you suggest until I tried Hawk pads as a last resort on my small rotors. What a HUGE difference in braking over the supposed 'premium' ceramic pads I had been using. If you want a quick improvement in braking before you do the big disk swap devinately give them a try. Check with shosource for them or the other brake/suspension upgrades.

·
Premium Member
7,050 Posts
I'd do the 01+ upgrade for sure. The smaller rotors seem to have a tendency overheat if you're rough on them. I can cut you a deal on the FN74 brackets for the swap if you'd like.

You'll definitely LOVE the swaybars. Man, what a difference.

·
Registered
671 Posts
As a brief update, I replaced my rear strut assemblies with a KYB and MOOG combo. KYB GR-2's struts and MOOG CC859 cargo springs... LOVE this setup.

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The front brake upgrade is a no-brainer for me as I already need to change the rotors and pads. The price difference for 2001+ rotors and pads vs. my 2000 is a few bucks. I scored the brackets off a 2002 at a pick n' pull for $15 yesterday so at under $20 vs. a stock brake job, this is the cheapest upgrade I'll probably ever do. Besides the better stopping power and fade resistance of the bigger brakes, I hate the look of the 10" rotors. Even under the factory 16" alloys they look tiny.

I'm still trying to figure out which pads and rotors to use though. I have Rabestos Professional Grade rotors and semi-metallic pads on the front now. They've been on there for almost 70k miles and are just now getting through the wear bars. The only problems I've had is the occasional deposits that need to be burned off. The stock pads barely made it 30k miles and the 2 sets of Wagner Thermo-Quiets I ran on Wagner rotors each got about the same. Never again on the Wagners.

I'm debating between the Raybestos Professional Grade and Advanced Technology rotors and pads. The Advanced Technology pad is a ceramic vs. a semi-metallic for the Professional Grade. I've been impressed by the life of the Professional Grade pads, but the stopping power was and still is nothing special. I'm also contemplating the Hawk HPS and the Performance Friction Carbon Metallic pads. The grip of both pads is great, but it's hard to justify the added cost when I've used both pads on other vehicles and the lifespan wasn't that great.

I guess I need to just make a decision so I can get this project rolling. I'm already getting excited about driving this thing when it's done.

·
Registered
610 Posts
So if the gen 2 moog cargo springs will leave the car at stock ride height, whatis the advantage? Also what is SAS? And again what is the advantage of the gen3 springs in the front?

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So if the gen 2 moog cargo springs will leave the car at stock ride height, whatis the advantage? Also what is SAS? And again what is the advantage of the gen3 springs in the front?
The cargo coils are a progressive coil, meaning that the spring rate increases as the coil compresses. The stock springs have a constant rate. The advantage of these is that while a soft coil is nice for a comfortable ride, a stiffer one provides much better handling and performs better with a heavy load.

The stock springs on the Gen 4's are very soft. Put a couple of adults in the back seat with some luggage in the trunk and the suspension is all but bottomed out. In addition, they're made from crappy steel and are notorious for sagging over time. SAS = Saggy @$$ Syndrome. The Gen 3 rear springs are a little stiffer, but not by a whole lot. The Gen 2 cargo coils are about as stiff as the Gen 3's for the first inch or so of travel, but they stiffen up a lot after that. I purchased a set for handling reasons, but if you have adults in your back seat often or a lot of weight in your trunk they're your best bet.

Just as a side note, they appear to be discontinued. You can still find them, but that may not be for very much longer. I purchased 2 sets just to be on the safe side. With my new Bull in the driveway I'm glad I did.

As for the Gen 3 springs on the front, they have a stiffer spring rate. Like the rear, I'm changing them for handling reasons.

·
Registered
610 Posts
The cargo coils are a progressive coil, meaning that the spring rate increases as the coil compresses. The stock springs have a constant rate. The advantage of these is that while a soft coil is nice for a comfortable ride, a stiffer one provides much better handling and performs better with a heavy load.

The stock springs on the Gen 4's are very soft. Put a couple of adults in the back seat with some luggage in the trunk and the suspension is all but bottomed out. In addition, they're made from crappy steel and are notorious for sagging over time. SAS = Saggy @$$ Syndrome. The Gen 3 springs are a little stiffer, but not by a whole lot. The Gen 2 cargo coils are about as stiff as the Gen 3's for the first inch or so of travel, but they stiffen up a lot after that. I purchased a set for handling reasons, but if you have adults in your back seat or a lot of weight in your trunk they're you're best bet.

Just as a side note, they appear to be discontinued. You can still find them, but that may not be for very much longer. I purchased 2 sets just to be on the safe side. With my new Bull in the driveway I'm glad I did.

As for the Gen 3 springs on the front, they have a stiffer spring rate. Like the rear, I'm changing them for handling reasons.
I will be HEATED if they discontinue the cargo springs! I'll be buying a set in the spring when I'm getting ready to start dropping in batteries.

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This one correct? Moog Springs And is that $60.99 for the pair of springs? And what does the extra 9$ charge for an 00-06 sedan mean? And last but not least..... Shipping to 48307?
You want the ones for a 89-95 sedan. AFAIK Moog doesn't make the Cargo Coils for Gen 3's or 4's, just factory replacement coils.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
This one correct? Moog Springs And is that $60.99 for the pair of springs? And what does the extra 9$ charge for an 00-06 sedan mean? And last but not least..... Shipping to 48307?
Yes correct springs. It is $75 for the rear springs.

The extra charge is dependent on the application. Moog charges different for the springs so we have to do the same.

You want the ones for a 89-95 sedan. AFAIK Moog doesn't make the Cargo Coils for Gen 3's or 4's, just factory replacement coils.
For the rear correct.

Wrong though. Moog just makes replacement springs for all of the years, it is just that the rears from the 89-95 are an upgrade for the Gen3/4.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Yes correct springs. It is $75 for the rear springs.

The extra charge is dependent on the application. Moog charges different for the springs so we have to do the same.

For the rear correct.

Wrong though. Moog just makes replacement springs for all of the years, it is just that the rears from the 89-95 are an upgrade for the Gen3/4.
Thanks for the info! You can fully expect an order from me after winter!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts