Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently i've been getting a rattle from the rear of my car. its directly behind the rear left seat. if you pull down the hatch on on that side, you hear it even worse and it sounds as if something is hitting against metal under the rearmost part of the trunk. whats under there? it has to be behind the wheel well and its sounds like something is loose or needs to be oiled because it squeaks a bunch and then clanks sounding like metal hitting metal not loud but annoying.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Originally posted by beonedge@May 24 2004, 11:01 PM
recently i've been getting a rattle from the rear of my car. its directly behind the rear left seat. if you pull down the hatch on on that side, you hear it even worse and it sounds as if something is hitting against metal under the rearmost part of the trunk. whats under there? it has to be behind the wheel well and its sounds like something is loose or needs to be oiled because it squeaks a bunch and then clanks sounding like metal hitting metal not loud but annoying.
Hey, I could be wrong here, but maybe it's your tuner/amp in the left side of the trunk, in the left wheel area there. Maybe it's loosened up or one of the wire bundles is banging around?? Just a thought....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
checked that. its from under the car. i can even feel it banging against the trunks floor(had the woman drive while i was back there trying to figure it out) closest too the rear seats.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
One of my hanger bolts for my Left muffler came out (one was not present for the right due to fuel lines), and it produced a rather annoying rattling noise on Idle. I ramped the back up with the car running and it was easy to find the rattling while I was under it, and a cheap bolt later, I was rattle free.

Try lifting the rear up and (safely) crawling under to see if you can visually identify the source. If you can't, then start troubleshooting and looking for loose items.

Edit: Is the noise only during driving? If it is, then you may still be able to find a problem spot by running a visual check. It will be hard, though, so if you do, be sure to go over everything with a fine toothed comb. Some trouble spots I can think of:

Exhaust break or hanger is loose.
Parking break cable may be loose and banging around (this shouldn't be a problem unless the insulators have fallen off or been torn off.)

I can't think of any other obvious things, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have a rattle from the rear bumper cover extension on the right side, where it is attached to the rear quarter panel (right behind the rear wheel). The part just slides on over a bolt head, and on mine, there's a lot of slop. Been that way since new. I notice it (a LOT!) on rough roads. I've just been too lazy and occupied with other things to fix it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts