Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Mine is gold I think (an '03)...The owner's manual identifies a couple different coolants that Ford uses in these cars. Does anyone else have a coolant other than gold in their GenIV?

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Started green, and it's still green.

-mobiuslogic

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
oh crap! i gotta get mine flushed! Mines greenish.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
You are supposed to use a special coolant due to the aluminum.

It says on the bottle for Ford-CHrysler

Mike
B)

·
Registered
549 Posts
Originally posted by submariner@Aug 9 2004, 02:10 PM
My coolant is orange as well. All new engines these days should have it... (GM Calls it Dexcool, Ford calls it something else)
Not all new engines have it, nor should they. Dex-cool is crap. The stuff likes to clump up and clog heater cores and radiators way before the 10 year / 100,000 miles it's supposed to last. Stick with green coolant and change it every year or so.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
There isn't anything wrong with using Dex-Cool if your car came with it in the first place. Dex-Cool is not compatible with the old fashioned ethylene-glycol (the green stuff) and if mixed, it will go bad and do the clumping stuff mentioned earlier...

The "gold" colored coolant is different from the "orange" which is different from the "green"...Don't mix them...

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Yeah, my Ford CD for 2000 says put the green stuff in for my Vulcan engine. However the Duratec is all aluminum while the Vulcan is an iron block and aluminum heads. Bottom line....stick with what was in there to start with.

-mobiuslogic

·
Registered
336 Posts
Then let me say it this way, ALWAYS check the manual. If it says to use type x and you're using type y, then flush it and fix it. Specifications may have changed from 96 to 99 to 04. When it comes to the cooling system, don't take chances.

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Originally posted by HokieSES@Aug 9 2004, 05:38 PM
The "gold" colored coolant is different from the "orange" which is different from the "green"...Don't mix them...
Come on guys....we all remember what happens when you mix chemicals from under the sink don't we.... :D :ph34r:

-mobiuslogic

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Alright some Ford lingo,

"Green" coolant is teh standard ethylene-glycol antifreeze

"Orange" is the long life used mainly in the 99 cougars (well that;s one of the main ones that I remember seeing it in)

"Gold" is Ford premium antifreeze, seen it in almost all new vehicles, from the Focus to the F550, obviously Ford is using this to replace the "green" antifreeze, it sems like it has been the last year or two that they have gone like this

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Mines green, The service records show me as the first person doing a coolent flush and I put back inthe green stuff, because that is what it came with.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts