Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought my first Taurus and had a question about the oil filter. I read in another thread on here that I can't seem to find again that it takes an FL400 A or S. Are there any other filters that work with it. And does anybody know of any sites online that I can get the Motorcraft 400's for a decent price.

·
Registered
285 Posts
If it has the 3.0 Vulcan OHV engine, then it uses a Motorcraft 400S , GM AC DELCO 400A. if it is the 3.0 DOHC engine then it uses a Motorcraft 820S. Cheapest place to get oil filters is Walmart.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Still you don't know what engine you have? Just lift the hood and read what is imprinted there...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know the engine is 3.0 V6. It doesnt say if it is the DOHC so is it safe to assume its the Vulcan? It is not the original engine that came with the car.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
The Duratec (DOHC 3.0L) looks like this:

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Stick with Motorcraft filters, they're very good filters for cheap. Once I used a aftermarket filter (Mobil 1), and it caused a startup noise on my vulcan engine. Changing back to a Motorcraft filter fixed it, and the noise never came back. Walmart sells them for under $4 each, and sells Mobil 1 extended life oil in 5qt jugs for under $30.

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
^+1 on the mobil 1 oil filter. I got a top end tap on a 99 tec id never had before. Switched to the mc820s and tap disappeared?

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
If you get the Napa Gold filters, they are excellent quality, made by Wix, who also makes the Motorcraft filter. Doesn't guarantee the quality is completely the same, but I've never had problems using Wix filters on any of my rides.

·
Premium Member
14,127 Posts
The Vulcan has a 3/4" thread and the Duratec has a metric thread. Diameter of all of them is 3". So if you wanted on the Vulcan you could use the bigger FL-1A if it would fit.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Wix also makes the AC Delco filters, which is what is on my car right now. Working at a Chevy dealer I get their filters cheap! About $2 each.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts