Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The low fuel light on my Gen. 4 Taurus (2001) (looks like a fuel pump symbol and is yellow) in the instrument cluster works and checks fine and is working when I start my car up. I notice that when driving the car when the fuel tank level gets between 1/4 and towards empty the low fuel light does not come on. It used to work and I know the bulb is not burned out. If any one can please tell me what might be causing this and how to fix this it would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
It usually has to get really close to E before it turns on. Mine gets between 1/8 and 1/16 before it turns on. How close to E do you let it get b4 u fill up?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi: Thank You for the advise. My fuel tank gauge can indicate on empty and still no low fuel light on. Still not sure whats causing this.

·
Banned
509 Posts
Mine is on all the time.. Mostly because I dont have money to put gas in there.. lol

When mine comes on, it is at the last 40-50 miles.. So like, 2 or 3 gallons..

I say to let it run down fairly low, then test agian..

·
Registered
712 Posts
The light comes on really late in my '03 also. When it comes on, you stop for gas ... now! In my '97 F150, the light means you need fuel in a few days.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Yeah, no fuel can pretty much mean a dead fuel pump.

Just work up some cash and keep it above 50%. I mean, that can't be that hard, right? If you don't have the cash, just act like 50% is 0 (this will also afford you a nice pillow for those really hard times)

Oh, yeah, more on topic, the fuel wiring system has a Fuel Gauge sender (in the tank) that sends a signal to the Fuel Gauge, either in series with or in parallel with (I can't tell) the AntiSlosh module. The Low Fuel indicator is wired directly to the Anti Slosh module, so if that module is having problems, you may not have the low fuel light come on. What you may want to do is see how much the gauge fluctuates on hard acceleration or braking. If you brake hard and the gauge goes mad crazy, then I'm willing to bet the antislosh module is broken. The module may also be malfunctioning, allowing proper dampening of the signals being sent out by the fuel gauge sender, but not telling the light to come on at the right time.

Just willing to bet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts