Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So After I installed my aftermarket Deck, I no longer have Instrument Cluster or ICP Lights. My turn signals still work, and show in the inside, all my indicator lights work, the Defrost light works, my Passenger airbag light works, my high beam indicator works, cruise control light, all of that still works, just no backlight, and I'm getting tired of Driving at night and having to use my phone to see how fast im going haha.

Has anyone else had any problems like this before I start pulling my IC to do pinpoint tests? I do have two wires on the back of my ICP that now have no place. One is black, which I've tried routing to ground, with no success, and the other, i believe, is orange with a tracer, i'll check again tomorrow.

I did have a pass airbag indicator on, but i found I had a wire come out of a pin, so thats gone. All my fuses are good, so I'm definately thinking an open somewhere, possibly with those wires left over.

Its a 2005 Ford Taurus SE

Thanks

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
dimmer/illum wire behind the radio.. used to happened to guys at work when i was an audio installer. look there and check fuses once its fixed.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dimmer/illum wire behind the radio.. used to happened to guys at work when i was an audio installer. look there and check fuses once its fixed.
[/b]
Do you know what color it is and where it goes? I would guess it would go to the same color wire it came from lol, but you never know.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
most the time on the aftermarket harness to adapt your factory wiring and from the aftermarket radio the dimmer/ill wires are orange. i used to not hook them up cause i had that problem. some cars were neg dimmer some where positive. so i would never hook them up.. or i'd wire the radio to illum all the time and never dim or go on and off with the headlights. thats how my v-dub and taurus are. the radio illumination is on all the time.. as for what color wires they are on the car side of the harness i'd have to be there with a meter to tell you.

hope that helps

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
most the time on the aftermarket harness to adapt your factory wiring and from the aftermarket radio the dimmer/ill wires are orange. i used to not hook them up cause i had that problem. some cars were neg dimmer some where positive. so i would never hook them up.. or i'd wire the radio to illum all the time and never dim or go on and off with the headlights. thats how my v-dub and taurus are. the radio illumination is on all the time.. as for what color wires they are on the car side of the harness i'd have to be there with a meter to tell you.

hope that helps
[/b]

What would you do, just an availible voltage while turning on the Main light switch to activate the Instrument cluster lamps, and just check each wire until the voltage changes? that sounds like a good idea to me lol. I'll tell ya how it goes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Are you talking about your radio/climate controls, or the speedo/tach gauge cluster?

I just installed a Scosche kit on my 2000, and they had me splice the orange dimmer wire into the white/blue wire for the ashtray light.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Are you talking about your radio/climate controls, or the speedo/tach gauge cluster?

I just installed a Scosche kit on my 2000, and they had me splice the orange dimmer wire into the white/blue wire for the ashtray light.
[/b]
Easiest way. :thumb:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

[/b]
Good thinking, I'll have to try that tomorrow.

Today I Just tried connecting my lights to power, with my little 0.3 Amp Wire, thats left over lol. And my lights to light up still, and all my fuses are good. So i'm gonna go ahead and try to splice that White/blue from the ashtray light and see how that goes. thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Did you check the dimmer knob next to the light switch to make sure you didn't accidentally bump it and turn it all the way off?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey Guys,

I am trying to complete an aftermarket headunit installation. I have two wires left to completion - yellow and orange. The Crutchfield manual notes that I need to splice the orange illumination wire into the blue/white wire from the ashtray light. My first question is can someone help me identify which blue/white wire I should use. I don't have an ashtray light (that I have seen anyway) and I don't see any wires in that general area. I see two blue/white wires in the wire harness to the left of the headunit. I just want to make sure I am splicing the correct wire. If you have a picture that would be greatly appreciated.

My second question is which factory yellow wire to I use to attach the headunit yellow wire to for power?

My apologies in advance if these are basic questions. This is my first time trying to do this install so I'm still learning.

Thanks in advance.
David

Fyi, I have attached a link to a picture of the yellow and orange wires I am looking to hook up if it helps.

Illumination and power wires

1 - 12 of 12 Posts