Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm not seeing things... I saw one a while back and one here just recently...

Was there an option for headlights with a factory blackout treatment on the areas around the actual light portions? I just saw one last week parked on a side street and I WANT those headlights...

If I don't do that, has anoone tried to remove the plastic cover from the headlights to paint / modify them themselves? I have worked on other cars where you could just put the headlights in the oven (LOW TEMP!) for a couple minutes and that would soften the adhesive enough that you could pull them apart...

I have a black car and I would love to get a bit of the chrome look out and some more dark in... also get some nightshades on teh ugly amber reflector...

·
Registered
746 Posts
i believe the centenial edition came with blacked out lights, they werent really black from what i remember though. i think they were just more along the lines of lightly tinted.

also, detroit raver bought some headlight covers that made hers black. and i bet she still has the link somewhere :)

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
I've seen them on the 100th anniversary edition as well as a black Sport edition (what the hell is the sport edition? The 24v DOHC emblems had Sport in them)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, looks like the centennial edition is what I saw... looking online, I was able to get a price of $150 per side... can anyone find a cheaper price?

I looked at a couple online sites and car-parts.com... there was one set used from a wrecker, but they wanted $155 each... no thanks, I'll buy new...

·
Registered
746 Posts
ford parts network doesent even list the centennial editions. i guess if you want them bad enough you are going to have to fork up the $300.

but if you are going to spend that much anyways, i would strongly suggest gettinga can of night shades first. you dont have to go pitch black, i put a light coat on my haedlights and get a very nice, subtle tint effect. that is a much cheaper alternative, and if you odnt like the way it looks you arent out that much :)

·
Registered
790 Posts
do em yourself... just pull your headlight assy off and mask off the center of the lense (or whatever part you want clear) with painters tape... and spray away.... if you make a mistake, just use some paint thinner or something to get it off..... DO NOT USE ACETONE.... bad experience there...

I dunno about the g4, but the g3 reflector assy comes out of the lense/lense tube... if it's the same on the g4 you can do it that way (prolly better anyways)...

but i sprayed my old headligts with anodized blue and then sprayed some of the metallic undercoat on top to give it a 'flake' look... then i covered it in clearcoat... looked alright...

This is b4 the clearcoat tho

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
The blacked out headlamps came on the 2003 SEL Centennial Edition Tauruses...I did find them at http://www.fordpartsdirect.net for $200/each (the standard headlamp assemblies are $185/each...

Or you can try and do it yourself, there are step-by-step directions somewhere here that you can find with the search feature...

·
Registered
594 Posts
yeah well the 100th ann. headlamps...the only part i believe that is blackened is the head light..not the parking light...so it would most likely look better to do the whole thing yourself and save a little money too..

·
Registered
790 Posts
and all i can say is *bling*.... lol :D

one shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiny gen4 right thurrr

1 - 14 of 14 Posts