Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '04 with the 6-CD changer. I also have the head unit from an '02 for the single-CD stereo.

I hate the damn changer in my '04 because it's a pain in the butt to change CDs.

Anyone know if I can just plug the '02 single-disc head unit into the '04 with the 6-CD changer? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
First question. Rotary Climate Controls or Digital ?

It won't be directly plug n play. the 04 and up have an airbag light. That needs to be modified.

Plus you may have to remove the rotary controls from your and transplant them (easy). They use a different connector. Other then those 2 considerations It will bolt right up.

And the Cd changer will continue to work. As the that is as slave the the RCU in the trunk.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (thesavo @ Jun 27 2009, 08:32 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=735590
First question. Rotary Climate Controls or Digital ?

It won't be directly plug n play. the 04 and up have an airbag light. That needs to be modified.

Plus you may have to remove the rotary controls from your and transplant them (easy). They use a different connector. Other then those 2 considerations It will bolt right up.

And the Cd changer will continue to work. As the that is as slave the the RCU in the trunk.[/b]
It's rotary. The knobs won't be an issue as I do have the complete setup from the '02 (with knobs). I only even have the '02 stuff because I put an aftermarket radio in it years ago, but I only got my '04 last year.

SO if you're right, my only concern is going to be the airbag light. Can you elaborate on this issue? Are you saying the airbag light on the '04 unit is on the radio itself? I'm not all that concerned about it as long as it's not going to be all throwing trouble codes and stuff. :)

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Hey Steve!

Unless you do the airbag light modification, you'll have a flashing airbag light on your instrument cluster in the 2004 as well as a non functioning passenger airbag. You can pick those in-dash CD players on eBay from a 2004-7 model fairly cheap that will be completely plug & play.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Jun 27 2009, 09:21 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=735604
Hey Steve!

Unless you do the airbag light modification, you'll have a flashing airbag light on your instrument cluster in the 2004 as well as a non functioning passenger airbag. You can pick those in-dash CD players on eBay from a 2004-7 model fairly cheap that will be completely plug & play.[/b]
Nick! How are ya man? :)

Thanks both of you guys. I'll check eBay. If they're not balls cheap I probably won't bother, it would just be a nice-to-have. I thought I'd like having the "luxury" CD changer but I seriously find it a pain in the ass. I pretty much leave the same stupid CDs in there for two months at a time because I never think to change them until I'm already driving. And srsly I'm not pulling over for that. :) Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts