Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

My 2007 Taurus has a leak in the flex joint before what I have recently come to find out is the 3rd catalytic converter on the exhaust system.

Any rate, since cutoff wheels and welding supplies are readily available, I have been looking all around to replace this piece versus the $300 some off direct fit Walker replacement.

First off, does anyone know off hand how long this little joint is? The smallest size I found on AAP.com and Rock Auto was 4". I can't forsee it being much bigger.

Next question, on the Rock Auto website, it lists 2 types of these flex pipes:

2 1/4"
PCI Part # 525 Flex Pipe Coupling - Blank, 2 1/4"

PCI Part # 546 Flex Pipe Coupling - w/extensions, 2 1/4"
Not to play dumb, but does the "with extensions" reference simply mean that there is 2 1/4" pieces of exhaust pipe already connected to the flex pipe portion versus a generic piece of flex pipe?

Thanks. All help is appreciated!

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
bro, i had lous' run a quick striaght pipe and just cut it out, mine was leaking to it cost like $35.

its like a coupler before the y pipe right?

·
Registered
405 Posts
2 1/4 is the diameter of the pipe - 4 inches is the length of the flex with a tiny bit of pipe beyond the flex.

Extensions add 2 inches or so to each end to clamp to or to weld to

So if this were your flex joint: [~]
the "with extensions" version would be like this: =[~]=

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
s2knott
Yes, that coupler piece between the manifold/Y-pipe and the catalytic converter.

nytaurusabuser
Thanks for the info, I believe I'll order the piece w/o extensions and I should have enough to weld to.

BTW, where in NY are you from? I'm in WNY.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Why not do one better, there are repair kits made specifically for '00-'07 Taurus'. I work with exhaust, the RockAuto ones may or may not be good, they just neglect to tell you. Are they single or double braid. If they are single braid, they won't last as long, and they may whistle or howl at a certain RPM. Thats also an expensive price for a single braid.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Khan,

Could you point me in the right direction for this repair kit?

Very interested, thank you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts