Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2000 has the factory alarm that is activated with the keyfobs.
Sometimes it goes off for no reason or when there is a train close. It does this in all weather and tempatures. Does nto seem to matter if we set the alarm or not.
the local ford dealer says to rip it all out, but they could not tell me if it is intregrated with the GEM module or anything else.
What can we do?
Thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
It is intergraded into the GEM. I think if you get the right service person they should be able to program it off for you. it is a programmable option.

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
The alarm is passive. This means that everytime you lock your door it is set about 30 seconds later. Try sitting in your car and shut the engine off and pull out the key. Then lock your doors. Wait a little bit then just grab the hangle and open the door. The alarm goes off. The key fob is only to set the alarm activelly(intant).

As far as random false alarms, it must be a loose wire somewhere. The first place I would check is the sensor under the hood on the drivers side. It is a simple pin swith. One time I was under the hood and I was like "cool whats it this?" I pushed it a few times and of course "HONK, HONK, HONK......"
If you can't find the problem I would sugest just disconecting the alarm and going aftermarket as those are far greater, and cheaper than Ford's factory alarms. And you get a shock sensor that Ford doesn't have on their Taurus alarms.

X

·
0 Posts
Yeah, that hood sensor is something. There is also a sensor on the trunk (or at least on my gen3). Might want to disconnect that and see if that changes anything. If it exists it is located on the key lock. I think it activates if someone tries to pull the lock out or something like that, not 100% sure. Lastly, do you have any door ajar problems with the light being on when it shouldn't? If you ahve a problem with the door switches, those could be setting off the alarm too.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Might also be the door switch sticking also

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
It sounds to me like the alarm is going off because it must have some sort of shock sensor built in.
My Avital went off all the time when large trucks went by, I found that it had a very small shock adjuster on the module which fixed it.
So check any related modules to see if it can be adjusted, some alarms can actually be adjusted by programing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think that it is passive.
If we shut the car off at home, and don't lock the doors with the remote, it will not go off when you repoen the door.
However, to start the car, you do have to use the remote to unlock (even if it is unlocked already) or push the override button.
The "door ajar" light does not come on while driving.
The way it worked when new, if you locked it with the remote, it would honk twice and once when unlocking. Now it beeps 6-7 times.
I just wnat to disconnect it all.
Hell, we don't lock the doors at home, and I even leave the keys in it most of the time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know this is an old post, but I'm new and doing a search on alarms found this almost identical problem as I'm having with my '03 SES. I'm still digging, so may find my answers elsewhere, but thought it couldn't hurt to ask here as well. I've also seen the suggestions about the hood switch and trunk switch so will check them this weekend.

After parking and setting the alarm, someone parking in the next space and shutting their door will sometimes cause the alarm to beep, a maintenance truck driving by may cause it to beep also. Not long after getting the car and noticing the beep after a truck drove by I tried to test the sensitivity. I shoved down on the front passenger quarter panel and got no result, I shoved sideways also with no result. I tried on the passenger rear quarter with the same non-response. I banged the rear passenger window with the side of my fist and set it off. One morning we awoke to the alarm going off and saw a squirrel near the car, I assume it had jumped on the car.

It seems as if there's either a motion sensor or sound sensor that's set too sensitive and being activated. I don't think the car is equiped with anything like that though.

Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Sounds like you have an aftermarket alarm system if a slamming door nearby sets it off. SESs only have remote keyless entry. the SEL trim had the alarm, and even then, they lacked motion/sensitivity sensors.

·
Registered
10 Posts
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Jul 24 2009, 01:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741629
Sounds like you have an aftermarket alarm system if a slamming door nearby sets it off. SESs only have remote keyless entry. the SEL trim had the alarm, and even then, they lacked motion/sensitivity sensors.[/b]
That doesn't sound very promising!! I didn't think it should have any kind of motion or sound sensitivity, none of our other vehicles have.
We bought the car used just before New Years and didn't get any manuals with it of any kind, so didn't have any idea that it could be an aftermarket alarm. The Ford key fobs work with it though, so could it possibly have been an upgrade of some sort? Any clue where I might look for the alarm to have been installed? Also, any idea how I can find out what equipment may have been factory installed.

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Well, I have one of those systems installed on my car; it was done for me by the dealer to add on a remote starter and upgraded alarm. First, look for a small antenna coming out of the headliner near the rearview mirror or sunvisors. The factory remote-keyless antenna is hidden, so you can't see it without dismantling the dash. There could also be a small toggle switch underneath the dashboard that's meant to be an emergency kill switch. Your car wouldn't have anything like that if it's all stock. If it's a dealer-installed alarm, there should also be a small LED flasher that lights up when the alarm is activated. The factory system only has the word "Theft" flashing in the instrument cluster- so any other lights would have to be add-ons. Check somewhere on top of the dash (up under the windshield) for the alarm light. There could also be a siren or an extra horn up inside the front bumper. Beyond that stuff, most aftermarket alarm parts would be pretty well hidden to avoid being easy for a thief to find and disable. The only way I know of to find alarm parts that were added to the car is to start taking everything apart; you really don't want to try that though. If you have a pro do it, they can probably tell you the make/model of the alarm from looking at the parts.

From what you described re: the motion sensors, it definitely could be a dealership installed Ford alarm system; my motion sensors also had to be tweaked so they didn't go off too easily. If you can have someone confirm it, you can at least get the user manual for those systems online. That should help solve the motion sensor issues. So, you only got the two four-button factory remote fobs? Nothing with more buttons like this picture?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the help.
We only got 1 key and 1 remote with the car, the salesman gave us another fob from his stash that looked identical to the one that came with the car and the dealership paid for another key and programming it. They are both 4 button fobs, lock, unlock, panic, and trunk.
I was looking things over on Saturday and was not able to find the hood switch others have mentioned. While under the dash, I did not see any kill switch like you've mentioned, or anything that looked like an after-factory add-on. In addition to the flashing "Theft" sign in the instrument panel, there is a small light on the dash just under the instruments that I'll have to look at again to see if, or when, it is activated. I don't recall seeing flashing light on the dash like everything else I've had that had an alarm, so it could very well be an extra of some kind. If it is an add-on system, it's very well concealed as I haven't seen anything yet that doesn't appear factory installed, but I'll look things over again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts