Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i totally screwed up here, ment to order a 6in body 24 in magnaflow and i recieved a 7 in diameter. Its a straight through resonator but its SUUPER giant i didnt think about it before ordering, and now im think its too wide to fit in the exhaust channel under the car can someone give me some insight on fitment? Im not worried about ground clearence just the diameter fitting up in the channel itself.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I would seriously doubt it would fit. You don't want it to touch anything you will get vibrations and stuff. Personally, I recommend the Yonaka resonators. They are made in Japan, very high quality, much better than the Chinese stuff, and the quality is in my opinion, way better than Magnaflow anyway. I have one on my car, cost me maybe $36 shipped.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im sending it back in the am i didnt realize how big thw damn thing is, mark used a 6 in 33 in ch long mufler so i figure go an inch wider and one step shorter to be a bit different. The thing looka likw its from a F350

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Go find yourself a floor jack and a tape measure. Have at it.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gotta wait a few more hours my area is still flooded/ muddy from the craxy t storms yesterday so my driveway is all wet sand puddled still.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I would seriously doubt it would fit. You don't want it to touch anything you will get vibrations and stuff. Personally, I recommend the Yonaka resonators. They are made in Japan, very high quality, much better than the Chinese stuff, and the quality is in my opinion, way better than Magnaflow anyway. I have one on my car, cost me maybe $36 shipped.
Yonaka resonator, shipped, for $36? Would of had to come from some Chinese knockoff shop. Yonaka's own website shows $149 being their cheapest resonator. Sure it looks good, but the words 'performance-inspired' make me cringe and for that money, I would pay a little more and get a custom design from Jack Burns of Burns Stainless, someone who has been doing this for over 30 years and is greatly revered, plus you would get something that is more than 'performance-inspired'.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Personally, I recommend the Yonaka resonators. They are made in Japan, very high quality, much better than the Chinese stuff, and the quality is in my opinion, way better than Magnaflow anyway. I have one on my car, cost me maybe $36 shipped.
What's Wrong with Magnaflow's quaility (In your opinion) ? I've used them and flowmaster on multiple applications and have NEVER had an issue. I think that your a little to much into the overseas "Performance" products on an American car. :p ;) I'm not discounting your Mufflers at all but I just wanted to know what bad experience with magnaflow you had.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ive got off name brand before and had terrible luck with rust. my flowtech warlock barely lasted 1 year and now i cant even get the cut out off i had to cut one bolt off that was stuck. even though it is somewhat name brand.

im sending my magnaflow back and getting a 22" long 6 in body Xl muffler.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
What's Wrong with Magnaflow's quaility (In your opinion) ? I've used them and flowmaster on multiple applications and have NEVER had an issue. I think that your a little to much into the overseas "Performance" products on an American car. :p ;) I'm not discounting your Mufflers at all but I just wanted to know what bad experience with magnaflow you had.
Ok, I dislike Magnaflow on a number of levels. First off, the steel they use is terrible. Doesn't mean you will ever have a problem, but for what they charge you they should use better. Second off, Magnaflow's mufflers are made overseas and assembled in the US. So if you think its an American product, think again. They are actually made in China.

I have had 2 vehicles with Magnaflows, both let me down. The first was a 1990 Mazda B2600i pickup. It sounded great when it was new, then as is "broke in", it began droning on the highway. I left my brother drive it for about a year and a half. When I got it back, the truck was obnoxiously loud and ricey sounding. What had happened is the mufflers packing, held in by Magnaflow's "patented steel wool, had all blown out.

The other Magnaflow was on my mom's 1992 Ford Aerostar. It was loud from day one. It droned at idle, it droned at freeway speeds. The shop that installed it for us told us it would be quite for a performance muffler. Now vans are harder to control drone in because of their large interiors, so the muffler we used might have been fine on another application. We took it back to the shop, and he decided that maybe we didn't have a large enough muffler for the job. So since there was enough room to fit another muffler in front of the first, thats what he did. It made it a little more tolerable, but it was still very loud inside, and drones much of the time.

At the time, I came to the conclusion that all straight through type mufflers would more or less do the same thing. I ended up buying a 1994 Aerostar for my work, and put a Flowmaster 50 series on it, which didn't drone too bad, though it could get loud enough to set off car alarms as I was going through parking lots. Then I found out about another brand called WickedFlow, which I had not heard of before. I happened to show up while the shop was putting one on a Honda Accord. After hearing it, I decided to try it, since my Flowmaster was rusting and the guy who put it on did the tailpipe wrong. When with WickedFlow MAX 18" body 2.25" pipe. And guess what, it sounded great, and no drone. This muffler cost me less than a Magnaflow, and just looking at the two side by side, I could see the difference. The WickedFlow was clearly the higher quality of the two. Having used them on even more vehicles over the last couple years with no issues at all, I for one am never turning back.

Design wise, the Magnaflow and WickedFlow MAX look similar, they are both straight through perforated core mufflers. And yet the sound they produce is very different. The Magnaflow has a low deep, but somewhat course sound, and at high RPM they can sometimes rasp a little, depending on the vehicle. The WickedFlow has a low deep rumble that is extremely smooth sounding. The closest way I can compare it is a Mustang versus and Aston Martin.

I also have a large photo collection of failed Magnaflows that I have seen waiting in shops to go back for warranty. I rarely see any other type of muffler in these piles, because stock mufflers go straight to the scrap bin, and Flowmasters don't usually fail under the warranty, and good luck getting most off brands warrantied out.

On my Taurus I wanted a resonator, not a glasspack, found a Yonaka brand resonator that was made in Japan, not China, tried it, liked it. I'm running the Yonaka resonator and dual WickedFlow 18" mufflers. It sounds great, runs great. And unlike my past Magnaflow experiences, it doesn't really get louder over time. I rather like my car sounding like a European import.

I just think that if its made in China either way, you are almost stuck buying something made overseas, but as well get something that better represents what you spend on it.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I think where it comes from doesn't matter unless it's made here in the US, Magnaflow may not get its materials from the US but they make and manufacture them here in the US. Now it's no secret that they are a Worldwide company and if they get their raw materials from someone else then that's ok by me. As far as drone is concerned that is always a problem when choosing the correct muffler size for the vehicle, most of my vehicles have had a drone at some point in the RPM range (Louder than it normally is at any given RPM)

It sucks you have had bad luck with Magnaflow, I have never had an issue that's why I wanted to know. Thanks for explaining :)

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I'm not talking about their raw materials. They get their complete prefabricated pieces from China, that would be the cases, the inner tubes, the packing, and the steel wool. These components are prefabbed to the point that all they need to have done is the final assembly. They do final assembly in the US with machines. At the end of the day, you are right, that doesn't matter too much, I would rather buy American made products myself, but not at the expense of quality and it is quality where I've had the issues.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I agree with you, I couln't have said it better myself. :)

Reactions: KhanTyranitar
1 - 13 of 13 Posts