Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of a sudden the power locks on the driver side front and back stopped working. It got really cold out lately, when it happened. Then I was driving and kept trying them and finally the rear left door starting working again but the drivers door doesn't. What is going on????? Please help!

J

·
0 Posts
It's probably just frozen... but I suppose it's possible that the motor burnt up from it trying to run while frozen
But I've never had that happen to me in either Taurus even when the locks did freeze - in my Gen 3 I sometimes had to keep hitting the unlock button and it would come up a little more each time and eventually unlock, lol. Next time you go for a long drive or can let the car run after getting up to running temp, turn the heat up all the way and angle the vents at the door and see if you can't get it to defrost. That's the only thing I can think of to try to unfreeze it, that always fixed my gen3.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Mine will do this--ironically, only on the door *I* use to get into the car. POS lol. So don't worry about it too much, normally you can just use the key. Last year I replaced the actuator and it fixed the problems, though sometimes it still has issues on very cold days.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Ok, not a Gen 4, but a similar problem. My drivers side power door lock wont work properly. When I press the power lock button, I can hear the actuator trying to push up the lock, but the rod itself just sort of barely "wiggles". I have to actually pull up on the rod while pressing the button for it to work. But, when press the lock button it works just fine. What causes this, I am pretty sure that the actuator works because I can hear it, but it kinda makes like a grinding sound when you press unlock. I decided I should check worst-case-scenario, and Ford wants $200 to fix it.

:edit: this doesnt just happen when its cold

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had a similar problem, whenever it would get really cold ( -20 C and under) the power door locks would stop working depending on what side the wind was comming from, well one night i decided to park the car on the opposite side that i usualy do, and this time it was the passenger's door locks that wouldn't work... Delaer told me that it's a common problem on Gen 4's and they haven't found a fix yet

1 - 6 of 6 Posts