Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, it's been quite some time since I've posted on these forums, but I still browse the forums from time-to-time. I actually sold my Taurus nearly three years ago, which was still running strong at 135k.

In the midst of going through old boxes I found a few audio items that I had used in my Taurus from approximately July 2004 through June 2006.

The items I'm selling are a pair of custom-made kick panels.

The kick panels are made of roughly three layers of medium-dense fiberglass, and were custom molded to fit my 2000 Taurus. They each have cut-outs for a 6.5" mid-driver and a 1" tweeter. They have holes cut in the back for cable routing, and holes actually may give them a bit of a ported effect.

I designed and constructed these myself, which were actually my second set (I wasn't happy with the first, too bulky). I built these for two reasons. The first is that it offers much improved sound quality over the stock location. The kick panels achieved this by placing the highs and mids near the same location, offers better imaging by placing the speakers slightly more equidistant from the driver, and they have great midbass response. The second reason was that I didn't want to route cables through the boot into the doors, and possibly damage the boots and/or the doors. The biggest driving force was sound quality.

The kick panels are covered in charcoal gray carpet, which goes well with the dark interior. These were designed for my 2000 Taurus, and fit very snugly (with the mats in) - they should fit most gen4 models, however I can't confirm this. The driver side kick panel rests below the emergency brake and still allows it's use. The passenger side fits just in front of the door, beneath the glove box.

Below are two pictures of the kick panels, one shown with my CDT component speakers (these are not included).

[attachment=33431:kick_panel_01.jpg]

[attachment=33432:kick_panel_02.jpg]

** Price Update ** The price for the pair is only $50 plus $15 shipping. If you live in the Chicago area, I'm willing to arrange a pick-up to waive the shipping fee if you prefer it.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me via PM. I can also provide a little more information about my installation such as cable routing, placement of crossovers, etc.

Parker

Attachments

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I found a pic in my TCCA garage of the passenger side kickpanel when I was test fitting it with the speaker and floor mat in place (sorry for dirty car, was doing the work in someone's backyard):

[attachment=33458:kick_panel_3.JPG]

Its somewhat hard to tell from the photo, but these panels are pretty well recessed and still allow for ample leg room.

Send me a PM with any questions!

Attachments

·
Registered
524 Posts
So you kind of just lay them on the floor?

I'm interested just fyi.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So you kind of just lay them on the floor?

I'm interested just fyi.
Yeah, they basically lay on the floor. Because of where I positioned them to sit, they are supported from roughly three sides - the bottom and then they rest where there are curves in the carpet just in front of the doors. Their actual footprint on the level carpet area is actually pretty small - they sit very upright.

In terms of their orientation, they are setup to point directly at the driver's head, so the imaging is great.

I molded these inside the car in their respective positions, so the fit is pretty tight. I'm a relatively aggressive driver, and I never had any issues with them moving around.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1 - 6 of 6 Posts