Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Supporter
Joined
·
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I needed a new passenger side head light for my gen 4 Taurus because mine had a leak in the molding. It was always getting filled up with water and eventually it started turning yellow. Bleh! Couldn't have that...:p

So we bought a new headlight and installed it.

The old one we decided we were going to mess around with. We stuck it in the oven for about 30 seconds to heat up the glue. Each time we would peel it apart a little and stick it back in because it would cool so fast. After about 30 minutes we finally got the assembly apart.

We decided to see about making "clear corners." It is SO easy to pop the "orange" reflector out. It just has to clips and it pops out. It would be VERY easy to paint this silver or get the silver reflective tape and cover it.

It would probably only take about an hour to complete both head lights. I didn't do it on my "new" headlights. I just wanted to see if it could be done....and it can. So anyone looking to do it, with a little careful work and some time, it is most DEFINITLY feasable.

I have no pics of this, so don't ask. I already threw the other headlight away.



-Kyle
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,288 Posts
Originally posted by kjw86ca@Feb 21 2004, 04:08 AM
I have no pics of this, so don't ask. I already threw the other headlight away.
a******. WE WANTED PICS!!!!!
This would have been a sweet mod.

-mobiuslogic
 

·
Premium Supporter
Joined
·
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well do it yourself...then you can be the first on the forum and impress everyone.!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,282 Posts
Originally posted by kjw86ca@Feb 21 2004, 04:08 AM
Hey guys,

I needed a new passenger side head light for my gen 4 Taurus because mine had a leak in the molding. It was always getting filled up with water and eventually it started turning yellow. Bleh! Couldn't have that...:p

So we bought a new headlight and installed it.

The old one we decided we were going to mess around with. We stuck it in the oven for about 30 seconds to heat up the glue. Each time we would peel it apart a little and stick it back in because it would cool so fast. After about 30 minutes we finally got the assembly apart.

We decided to see about making "clear corners." It is SO easy to pop the "orange" reflector out. It just has to clips and it pops out. It would be VERY easy to paint this silver or get the silver reflective tape and cover it.

It would probably only take about an hour to complete both head lights. I didn't do it on my "new" headlights. I just wanted to see if it could be done....and it can. So anyone looking to do it, with a little careful work and some time, it is most DEFINITLY feasable.

I have no pics of this, so don't ask. I already threw the other headlight away.



-Kyle
why would you paint it..could you just....pull it out?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,077 Posts
Is the backing reflective? How many clips? Did it look like it could be resealed airtight?

Damnitall, you dd all this without a camera Kyle! This could have been an important discovery in the history of Taurii! What explorer goes on his adventure without his sketchbook to capture the wonders of his surroundings? What doctor leaves his pen behind when creating a procedure!
:ttiwwop:

j/k! Pics woulda been cool.
 

·
Premium Supporter
Joined
·
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't recommend doing it unless you were going to put silver reflective tape on the orange reflector. behind the reflector is shiny, not really reflective. It would look best with the silver reflective tape I think.

It was two clips. One on the right side one on the left side. Picture it as a Ford oval laying at about a 30 degree angle...the sides that would have been right and left are still right and left when flipped 30 degrees. LOL...does that make sense??

Anyway...all it is is glued. It could be resealed fine I think. Just use a LOT of plastic glue that is suitable for high-temps. If you are in doubt buy one cheap headlight off ebay to practice on. Trust me, it CAN be done...and its not that hard!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,282 Posts
Originally posted by kjw86ca@Feb 21 2004, 09:16 PM
I wouldn't recommend doing it unless you were going to put silver reflective tape on the orange reflector. behind the reflector is shiny, not really reflective. It would look best with the silver reflective tape I think.

It was two clips. One on the right side one on the left side. Picture it as a Ford oval laying at about a 30 degree angle...the sides that would have been right and left are still right and left when flipped 30 degrees. LOL...does that make sense??

Anyway...all it is is glued. It could be resealed fine I think. Just use a LOT of plastic glue that is suitable for high-temps. If you are in doubt buy one cheap headlight off ebay to practice on. Trust me, it CAN be done...and its not that hard!!
So the reflective tape would just be there in order to project the blinker/driving light???? thats it?? if you put reflective tape on it... you wouldnt see the light fromt he side.. correct?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,282 Posts
Originally posted by FatTortoise@Feb 21 2004, 10:30 PM
what temp was the oven?
LOL OMG


Ford Taurus Headlight Recipe


*preheat oven to 350 degrees
*place headlight on the middle oven rack and bake for 5 minutes
*remove headlight and poke at the glue to make sure it reached optimal temperature
*enjoy!

LOL
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,922 Posts
Originally posted by afi292@Feb 21 2004, 06:48 PM
So the reflective tape would just be there in order to project the blinker/driving light???? thats it?? if you put reflective tape on it... you wouldnt see the light fromt he side.. correct?
I think the orange reflector is solid so light wouldn't be able to go thru it from teh back. I think he men cut a piece of white reflective tape to the same shape as the orange reflector and put it over it.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top