Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for a Gen 4

My blinker started blinking really fast today and I couldn't figure out why. Well, I looked it up in the manual and it said that means one of your outside blinkers is not working. So I pull in a parking lot and turn on my blinker and get out and look and, sure enough, the rear one was out. Very innovative for them to make it do that so you know it's out!

Anyways... I can't figure out how to get the rear tail light off to change the bulb. I utook the nut off four bolts on the inside of the trunk that seemed to be holding it on and the light is now loose, but something is still holding it. Anybody know how to get it off? Of course I can't find my Ford Service CD I bought a few weeks ago. <_<

Thanks!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok I figured it out. I found the Ford service CD I had. The last bolt I couldn't find was actually one of the pegs that the optional cargo net attaches to in the trunk. There is a hex head drive on top of it. You just undo that and then under it there is a nut that you undo and that releases the last bolt.

Autozone has the wrong part listed for the car, too
You have to get the number that is on the stock lightbulb. Autozone's computer tells you to use something else that doesn't fit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Jason,
I think I have a similar problem. My passenger side brake light is out. The blinker
works,and the "parking lights?" work,but no brake light. Since you were just in there,is this all one bulb or two,three? Could you describe a little more in detail
how you got in? I have a 99 Taurus and it looks like they made it more difficult
than it should be to replace a bulb.

Thanks,
Leftydrummrr

·
Registered
443 Posts
Originally posted by leftydrummrr@Apr 12 2004, 09:31 PM
Hi Jason,
I think I have a similar problem. My passenger side brake light is out. The blinker
works,and the "parking lights?" work,but no brake light. Since you were just in there,is this all one bulb or two,three? Could you describe a little more in detail
how you got in? I have a 99 Taurus and it looks  like they made it more difficult
than it should be to replace a bulb.

Thanks,
Leftydrummrr
Lamp Assembly � Taurus Sedan

Removal

1. Open luggage compartment door. Remove quarter trim panel. Refer to «Section 01-05».

2. Remove three nuts from rear lamp mounting studs.

3. Pull rear lamp away from vehicle.

4. Lift tabs on parking lamp connectors and pull connectors away from parking lamp socket and wiring.

Installation

1. Follow removal procedure in reverse order.

2. Tighten nuts to 5-7 Nm (45-61 lb-in).

Rear Lamp Assembly � Taurus Sedan
I hope that this is helpful

Attachments

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Yep, that should be it. It's all one bulb. I would recommend looking at your current bulb first and the 4 digit number on it before getting a replacement. As I noted above, AutoZone had the wrong part in their computer system. Feel free to ask if you have any other questions.

btw... IIRC my owner's manual in my Gen 3 said to take the car to the dealership if the bulb burnt out!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts