Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i went though all the posts in the archive. i want to put either 17' wheels or 18' wheels on. can you please tell me what the specs have to be in order for the wheels to fit and not rub. thank you

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
17x7 with a +42 - +45 offset & 235/45/17 will work good. You can go a little narrower and highr aspect ratio if you wannasave a little money.

18x7.5 or 18x8 with a +45 offset & 235/40/18 or again go narrower and higher aspect ratio. As long as you dont have some really crazy lowering springs it wont rub.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if i want to put the eibach spring kit on my car, will it cause any problems if i put 18x8's on afterwards?

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
maybe. I think the widest wheel you could get by with is 235/40/18. The offset will have to be perfect or you will either rub the strut on the inside or the rear fender arch on the outside.

Without some kind of camber adjustment your expensive tires will suffer from inner tire wear in the front. Either get a camber kit, have new holes drilled, or have the strut towerplates repostitioned.

BTW - my 17" wheels with 235/45/17's and the Eibach kit rubbed a little bit on the rear fender before I took a Dremel and shaved the inner lip down. My wheels have a +35mm offset so they stick out a little more than the 42-45 offset. Looking at the car from the front the fron tires appear to stick out from the fender about 3/4", but the do not rub or bottom out on the fender. I'll post a pic if I can find one.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have 245/40-18 on my gen 3 and the wheel gap on the front is pretty fugly, if i was to lower it with the eibach/kyb combo would i rub constantly or would it be only on really tight turns or large bumps in the road? I have the Enkei DM5's with +40mm offset. if it did rub, would there be anything that could be done to stop it or at least minimize it without buying new tires?

josh

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
The biggest factor for rubbing would be your 245 rubber. The most common width used for lowered Taurii (from the SHO people) are 235's and with some playing around with the offsets of the wheels. Rubbing also depends on how low you want to go, so please tell us how much of a drop you want when lower the car

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well, i am looking at dropping it with the Eibach/KYB combo and then lowering it a bit more by cutting the strut mounting tabs.

josh

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i just want 1.3 in the front and 1.4 in the rear. with some 18's

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
will 18 x 8" will a 5 x 100 or 5 x 112 bolt pattern fit a gen 3 taurus

·