Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am "searching" for a full set (accessories) of underdrive pulleys for my 97 Vulcan. If someone has a set available or knows where to get them, please forward me in the right direction.
Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
I know this has been said before, but, "Get a VAK!" Much easier than UDPs, all the gains, none of the losses. If you do that and it's still not enough, then contact a shop about getting a custom set of UDPs. AFAIK, there are no UDPs mass-produced for the Taurus Vulcan.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
a vac does not have all the gains...good substitute but not the same. A vak only disengages the alternator, the a/c takes care of itself, and if you have a sho it lessens the power steering a little, not fully by any means. An underdrive pully on the crank will lessen the parasitic losses of the waterpump...well everything about 20-30% depending on the pully size. Some say there are downsides to a UDP but there are also damaging aspects to a VAK.

If you had the money, both would be the best thing. That way you recover HP from the UDP and also temporarly save on the alternator load for a few seconds during WOT.

Brad

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been here awhile but I STILL don't know what a VAK is. I've tried for the life of me to figure it out but this is one of those things that my brain just farts out on.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Originally posted by pumaboyairn@May 17 2004, 02:03 AM
I've been here awhile but I STILL don't know what a VAK is. I've tried for the life of me to figure it out but this is one of those things that my brain just farts out on.
Send a PM to SHOZ123. He makes and sells them.

And btw, I have 97 duratec and my VAK partially cuts out my power steering, so it's not just for the SHO's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts