Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say I have a set of 15 or 16" factory steel wheels. Is there a center cap that will work on these besides the imfamous police center caps im talking about something like the center caps that fit on the center of the polished or painted factory alloys that came on the Gen 3 Taurus/sables like 96-99.....

I hope someone knows what I mean. If not I can give some pics on what I mean. Maybe the center caps for the factory alloys are too big and will not snap into the center of the steelie to cover the bolts? Hopefully someone out there can try this for me! :D

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
The center caps on the alloys are designed to work with the alloy rims only. You can't attach them to the steelies unless you want to use duct tape or super glue. The center caps on the police Taurus use special lug nuts with a groove on them to allow the special center cap to clip on to.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats a big bummer.. I was looking to do something like this:

Im surprised the clips or tabs on the back of alloy center caps wont catch on the steelies inside edge of the round part that looks similar in size to a center cap. Im not doubting you at all it's just kinda suprising they wont work without modification. Then again I tried a polished alloy cap on a painted alloy rim and the center cap will not sit flush or work correctly there either. Ford must have did it on purpose so people cant use any and every center cap on multiple wheels! and to make people buy the correct center caps.

My only other question then is did Ford make any center caps that work on the steelies? I know they made hubcaps to cover the steelies but were talking only the center here. Only the police center cap is the only possible option that will work?

Thanks for saving me from learning the hard way before I bought anything to try and make it come together.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Leave the center cap alone and paint the rest of the wheel black. Maybe try matte black paint?

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
QUOTE (RyanzLX1 @ Jul 3 2009, 11:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=736864

Im surprised the clips or tabs on the back of alloy center caps wont catch on the steelies inside edge of the round part that looks similar in size to a center cap. Im not doubting you at all it's just kinda suprising they wont work without modification. Then again I tried a polished alloy cap on a painted alloy rim and the center cap will not sit flush or work correctly there either. Ford must have did it on purpose so people cant use any and every center cap on multiple wheels! and to make people buy the correct center caps.

My only other question then is did Ford make any center caps that work on the steelies? I know they made hubcaps to cover the steelies but were talking only the center here. Only the police center cap is the only possible option that will work?

Thanks for saving me from learning the hard way before I bought anything to try and make it come together.[/b]
That Mustang uses the LX alloy wheels with the wheel painted black and the center cap unpainted. Those aren't steelies.

The alloy wheels have a straight cylindrical wall where the center cap clips on to. The center cap has some plastic tabs with a metal ring to keep them in place. The metal ring acts as a spring and pushes the tabs into the wheel.

Most modern police cars use center caps that attach by the lug nuts rather than the wheel. Some have holes in the center cap for the lug studs. Some clip on top of the lug nuts. They don't attach to the wheel itself.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (Qwertz9586 @ Jul 5 2009, 10:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=737249
QUOTE (RyanzLX1 @ Jul 3 2009, 11:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=736864

Thanks for saving me from learning the hard way before I bought anything to try and make it come together.[/b]
That Mustang uses the LX alloy wheels with the wheel painted black and the center cap unpainted. Those aren't steelies.

The alloy wheels have a straight cylindrical wall where the center cap clips on to. The center cap has some plastic tabs with a metal ring to keep them in place. The metal ring acts as a spring and pushes the tabs into the wheel.

Most modern police cars use center caps that attach by the lug nuts rather than the wheel. Some have holes in the center cap for the lug studs. Some clip on top of the lug nuts. They don't attach to the wheel itself.
[/b][/quote]

Those look like alloys, but are steelies on that mustang look at the lip. I notice on the Taurus LX alloy wheels there really is not that much of a lip if any compared to steelies. Its hard to say what im going to do to get this look. Theres like 3 different alloys ford used on the LX taurus. The painted ones have the rings like you explained above, the painted/machined faced ones have a center cap that uses clips that push against the inside of the bolt area, and then theres the all chrome model. Not sure what the all chrome model uses to attach the center cap on with. Wish I could see what the center cap was that they used on undercover or police taurus in 96-99. If they even used a steelie/dog dish center cap look?

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow yeah thats the mustangs wheels! Guess I have to take my statement back about those being steel wheels then lol!

I got 1 of these

Three of these

and 4 wornout tires so... time to either switch to a set of 16 or 17" alloys that fit the Taurus or go to all 15" or 16" steelies with a chrome center somehow. The lot I bought the car off of or the auction block people just put whatever they had sitting as take offs on it to sell it. Which when I bought it I didnt care because I was running 18" wheels for some time in the summer and running the stockers for winter time. Now that im not into the big chrome wheels any longer im going to put together a set of year around wheels but yet can still look good enough in the summer when the car is clean. Preferably not chrome as the salt seems to eat away at chrome here in Indiana in the winter time.

Jaguar and Volvo wheels seem to be a nice alternative if I go the 16" or 17" machined or painted wheel route. But the 16 and 17's seem to be higher $$ and more weight im looking to keep it an affordable route this time and have a lighter weight set of 15" or 16" to be good with gas mileage this time around as well... I like silver or machined wheels but at the same time love the black steelie with the chrome center look. Anyone ever try out the full moon type hubcaps? Chrome moons? They have another name but cant think of it at this min. Idea's?

Id paint my stock wheels black and leave the center caps un painted for the cop/mustang wheel look but my center caps are not polished or chrome so the silver would not look right.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have been looking for the same type of center cap you are looking for for a while. I was even checking with the volvo guys hoping that there would have been a small center cap like that offered on the volvo's but I have come up with nothing.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Moon caps are full wheel covers that make the entire wheel look like a solid piece of metal. The metallic center cap is referred to as "dog dish".

Dog dishes attach to the wheel by a couple of detents near the center of the steelie that clip over or under the lip of the cap. The center caps on modern police cars attach to the lug nuts.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
QUOTE (3RDGEN @ Jul 7 2009, 09:45 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=737664
I have been looking for the same type of center cap you are looking for for a while. I was even checking with the volvo guys hoping that there would have been a small center cap like that offered on the volvo's but I have come up with nothing.[/b]
Are you talking about the small center caps from a volvo wheel? Or are you talking about another type of center cap? Just the center logos? Or are you talking about a chrome center cap that would work with a Volvo's steel wheels?

Qwertz9586 - yeah I know what the moon covers are I was just kinda putting that idea out there too in this post to see if anyone has tried the moon covers on their stock 15' or 16" Steelies on their Taurus or Sables?? I have seen some on older cars of course and some newer PT cruisers they dont look too bad, look even better with wide whitewalls though. Wide whitewalls just isnt happening on my Taurus so I dont think the moons are going to be the way to go for my ride.

You say the dog dishes, attach to the wheel by a couple of detents near the center of the steelie that clip over or under the lip of the cap. Since the Police lug nuts are hard to find and there are no specific center caps that work with the Taurus steelie of 96-99. Makes me think the only option is going to be a dog dish type of way to attach the center caps.

Aftermarket caps

I found some aftermarket caps that say they work with the crown vic however the crown vic center caps that were used on police cars have a different back to them than the ones in the link I think. Im not sure if the ones on ebay there attach to the lug nuts or the metal tabs they have on those attach to the outer edge of the inside of the lug area or what. They look as if they would go away from the lugs not attach to the lugs? Makes me wonder..

·
Registered
19 Posts
QUOTE (RyanzLX1 @ Jul 8 2009, 03:59 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=737888
I have been looking for the same type of center cap you are looking for for a while. I was even checking with the volvo guys hoping that there would have been a small center cap like that offered on the volvo's but I have come up with nothing.[/b]
Are you talking about the small center caps from a volvo wheel? Or are you talking about another type of center cap? Just the center logos? Or are you talking about a chrome center cap that would work with a Volvo's steel wheels?

Qwertz9586 - yeah I know what the moon covers are I was just kinda putting that idea out there too in this post to see if anyone has tried the moon covers on their stock 15' or 16" Steelies on their Taurus or Sables?? I have seen some on older cars of course and some newer PT cruisers they dont look too bad, look even better with wide whitewalls though. Wide whitewalls just isnt happening on my Taurus so I dont think the moons are going to be the way to go for my ride.

You say the dog dishes, attach to the wheel by a couple of detents near the center of the steelie that clip over or under the lip of the cap. Since the Police lug nuts are hard to find and there are no specific center caps that work with the Taurus steelie of 96-99. Makes me think the only option is going to be a dog dish type of way to attach the center caps.

Aftermarket caps

I found some aftermarket caps that say they work with the crown vic however the crown vic center caps that were used on police cars have a different back to them than the ones in the link I think. Im not sure if the ones on ebay there attach to the lug nuts or the metal tabs they have on those attach to the outer edge of the inside of the lug area or what. They look as if they would go away from the lugs not attach to the lugs? Makes me wonder..
[/b][/quote]

Is This what your trying to do? "Bottlecaps"

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
QUOTE (crankcase @ Mar 31 2010, 11:41 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=794468
QUOTE (RyanzLX1 @ Jul 8 2009, 03:59 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=737888

Aftermarket caps

[/b][/quote]

Is This what your trying to do? "Bottlecaps"
[/b][/quote]

Holy Crap I just noticed how old this thread was.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Well tell us how you did that "bottle cap" and it'll be relevant to the topic and we'll forgive you for bumping it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
QUOTE (Qwertz9586 @ Mar 31 2010, 07:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=794523
Well tell us how you did that "bottle cap" and it'll be relevant to the topic and we'll forgive you for bumping it.[/b]
My center caps were plastic, but I don't see why it wouldn't work on the steel ones too. First I tack welded the square nuts on the back side of the hubcap retainer brackes thats held on with the lugnuts. Then I ground the top of the square nut off so it was flush with the top side. You need the weld the nut in place because it's originally staked in place from Ford and when you grind it if it's not welded it will just fall out. Center Punch and drill a 8mm hole in the hubcap (this was easy on the plastic one because of the mold release pin is already in the center. If I was doing a steel cap I would drill it using a step drill. Then I countersunk the cap to match a Stainless Steel M8x16mm FHCS flush with the top of the hub cap. Of course the hubcap is too thin for the angle of the countersink to hold the hubcap tight. 3 ways to fix this: what I did was turn the head on the FHCS down and put a relief on the shank so it threads down further. That's if you have access to a lathe. Or you countersink the nut on the hubcap retainer so the cap screw threads down further. The last option would be to use a BHCS or Pan head but then you don't have the clean flush look.
If you get it right the outside of hubcap will seat snug to the wheel. If it spins after you tighten down the retainer bolt just grind a little more off the retainer bracket until it seats. Don't forget to use some Loctite on the hold down screw or your new hubcaps might do a drive off. Oh yeah, keep a hex key in your glovebox.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts