Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking to buy a radio dash kit if anybody is selling one plzz let me now asap really want one thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
You mean to run an aftermarket radio? Or are you looking for trim? Personally, I prefer the way the stock system is setup since I would run a remote amp anyway, and I think the stock radio just looks so much more, how shall I say this, factory. I find most of the kits to me, just look like they are aftermarket addons, they don't have that polished look that seems like it belongs in the car. I'm sure you know what I mean. The textured plastic is wrong, the color is wrong. They are usually flat, which doesn't look right either, not when the stock setup follows the curves of the dash and is designed to blend so well.

Don't get me wrong, its your car. Its just if it was my car, I like everything to look neat and tidy and professional. I'm not necessarily critisizeing anyone either.

But, this looks nice and factory

and this doesn't

Now if you are looking for a trim kit to dress the stock setup, carid sells stuff, most of it made by Sherwood. I have a honey burl kit in my car, and it turned out nicely, though it is a little tricky to install on the radio. This is mine.

There are ways to get great sound out of these. My car has the Mach sound system. I replaced the front door speakers, which were blown when I bought the car, with Kenwood Excellon replacements. I don't know how it would sound with a slightly less expensive speaker, but these sound excellent, though the sound does get funny beyond half way. Has to do with the way the stock system starts cutting back bass at high volume. The JBL system is more powerful if you want more sound.

If you want CD capability, the stock system supports CD changers, and there are i-pod and other MP3 interfaces that work with the stock system. I run an iPod adapter in mine. It consists of two parts, an aux input adapter that emulates the cd changer (you select it by switching to CD and it acts as though there is one disc with one track that never ends. From there, I have an iPod interface that sends the sound to the aux adapter. And just like that, it plays though the stock system.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts