Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,347 Posts
Different generation Bull, but my 95 GL Vulcan has cloth seats with power driver seat, manual pass seat.

·
Registered
10,191 Posts
I'm still gonna double check all the slide pins before I put her on the road, but someone clearly did the brakes not that long ago mileage wise. Pads and rotors have a ton of meat on them. I'm currently pulling the timing cover to do that gasket so it will be checked eventually, haha.

Yeah, it has a manual passenger seat. I was just confused on the driver one since the last lower option car I had was my 06 and that was manual on both seats. But that was also well after the great cheapning wall so I suppose that's not terribly surprising.

My Mustang GT has a cloth power passenger seat. The Mustang is definitely an exception though.
Best check for your own. Bought used '11 Buick Lucerne from Buick dealer. New pads and rotors, still have the grind marks on the rotors. I did the usual IR gun temperature match and the left front hotter than it's mate. Pulled the wheel and caliper and had a stuck pin. Had to rotate and pull a bit to get it out. No rust. No grease. Just dry metal on one pin. Other pin greased and free. So for the shop to get new pads in they had to move that pin. Likely a hammer job. I wiped down the pin and hole and used CV join grease on it. All good now. That was over 2 years ago and still fine. No rust car, just came from the OE dry and some flunky at the Buick garage did not fix it. Want anything done right, you are in charge. My OP.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,347 Posts
^^^^ Yet another example of why I do all my own car and home repairs. I know the job is done right using the highest quality parts and materials.

Reactions: ice445

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
So my 98 SE is the first gen 3 I've owned, and it's in surprisingly decent shape overall. Always was curious about these, so glad I'm getting to experience one finally. But I have a few questions because I can't remember a lot of this stuff, lol.

1: Were rear disc brakes an option on the sedan or standard? This one has rear discs (thank the lord).
2: Are headlights the same from 1996-1999? I found some nicer ones in the junkyard from a 96, mine is a 98.
3: Are the Mach tweeters any different from the standard ones?
4: Was power seating an option or standard? This one is electric.
5: Does the AX4S take Mercon V like the AX4N does?
6: This is an oddball, but does anyone know what the sticker on my transmission pan is for? It says something about a TSB before servicing. I need to get a picture of it.
7: Power steering system still uses Mercon V right?

I tried looking through the wiki but didn't see exactly what I was looking for. I'm especially curious about the options because this is a very oddly optioned car. Bench seat w/ cloth, but electric seats? Vulcan and AX4S, but rear discs? It also has the standard climate controls and no keyless entry module.
i have a 98 se. cloth seats. 3.0 Vulcan rear disks, manual climate, ax4s,manual seats,no keyless
got over 200K on her with a junkyard motor in it due to stupid daughter.
dont be so quick to praise the rear disks. Normally, i would agree that disks are better.
but on this car they have been a pain in the rear. the caliper pins tend to rust in place.
better check yours. i have replaced both rear calipers at one time or another for issues. emergency
brake cables rust and stick. had a lot less issues with the rear drums on my 97.
rear springs broke in chunks. looked like a low rider. just replaced a front strut with broken spring.
brake lines rot and leak under the drivers door. best to just take the darn plastic shield off the lines it
does more harm than good in my opinion. many dash back lights burnt out now.. dont put a cassette
in it, resist the urge... dont be surprise if your windshield washer lines are rotted out. and a few
vacuum hoses to boot.

Reactions: sheila

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
i have a 98 se. cloth seats. 3.0 Vulcan rear disks, manual climate, ax4s,manual seats,no keyless
got over 200K on her with a junkyard motor in it due to stupid daughter.
dont be so quick to praise the rear disks. Normally, i would agree that disks are better.
but on this car they have been a pain in the rear. the caliper pins tend to rust in place.
better check yours. i have replaced both rear calipers at one time or another for issues. emergency
brake cables rust and stick. had a lot less issues with the rear drums on my 97.
rear springs broke in chunks. looked like a low rider. just replaced a front strut with broken spring.
brake lines rot and leak under the drivers door. best to just take the darn plastic shield off the lines it
does more harm than good in my opinion. many dash back lights burnt out now.. dont put a cassette
in it, resist the urge... dont be surprise if your windshield washer lines are rotted out. and a few
vacuum hoses to boot.
Sounds just like my car, lol. Mine isn't rusty though, and someone had done the brakes before it was parked. I'm still going to check all the slide pins as you say, but I just got it running after the head gaskets so I'm slowly going through the other items. Windshield washer line is broken, and I created a small vac leak pulling the dash to replace the heater core, so hopefully that's easy to find.

Overall its driving pretty nice for a winter beater, so I don't expect perfection lol

21 - 25 of 25 Posts