Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 98 SE is the first gen 3 I've owned, and it's in surprisingly decent shape overall. Always was curious about these, so glad I'm getting to experience one finally. But I have a few questions because I can't remember a lot of this stuff, lol.

1: Were rear disc brakes an option on the sedan or standard? This one has rear discs (thank the lord).
2: Are headlights the same from 1996-1999? I found some nicer ones in the junkyard from a 96, mine is a 98.
3: Are the Mach tweeters any different from the standard ones?
4: Was power seating an option or standard? This one is electric.
5: Does the AX4S take Mercon V like the AX4N does?
6: This is an oddball, but does anyone know what the sticker on my transmission pan is for? It says something about a TSB before servicing. I need to get a picture of it.
7: Power steering system still uses Mercon V right?

I tried looking through the wiki but didn't see exactly what I was looking for. I'm especially curious about the options because this is a very oddly optioned car. Bench seat w/ cloth, but electric seats? Vulcan and AX4S, but rear discs? It also has the standard climate controls and no keyless entry module.

·
Registered
23,104 Posts
^ ice445: #1- option. Out of 6 '98/'99 tecs, I had 1 '98 Sable with rear discs, all the rest were drums. #2- Should be the same. Iirc, Taurus vs. Sable headlights are diff. '96/'97 Taurus taillights have amber, '98/'99 are all red. #3- Dunno for sure. You could pm member durasel (Gerry) for sure. Tweets is tweets, lol. #4- All of mine had driver power seat. I have heard of pass. power seat, but never owned or saw 1. #5- Yes, Mercon 5 atf. #6- Disregard that sticker. Much ado about nothing, lol. #7- Yes, Mercon 5 atf in the ps.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^ ice445: #1- option. Out of 6 '98/'99 tecs, I had 1 '98 Sable with rear discs, all the rest were drums. #2- Should be the same. Iirc, Taurus vs. Sable headlights are diff. '96/'97 Taurus taillights have amber, '98/'99 are all red. #3- Dunno for sure. You could pm member durasel (Gerry) for sure. Tweets is tweets, lol. #4- All of mine had driver power seat. I have heard of pass. power seat, but never owned or saw 1. #5- Yes, Mercon 5 atf. #6- Disregard that sticker. Much ado about nothing, lol. #7- Yes, Mercon 5 atf in the ps.
Thank you, you are the gen 3 guru after all!

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
Headlights for Taurus's - 96 and 97 have more reflective silver plated surface area inside lamp housing. 98 and 99 have blackened areas on sides.

Form, fit and fuction are same for all 4 years = totally interchangeable, just look a tad bit different.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Headlights for Taurus's - 96 and 97 have more reflective silver plated surface area inside lamp housing. 98 and 99 have blackened areas on sides.

Form, fit and fuction are same for all 4 years = totally interchangeable, just look a tad bit different.
Thanks! By the way, since you would know, where can I buy a welded gen 3 SHO? I've wanted one for a minute now but I'm clueless as to where to look.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
There are lots of unusual options out there. My first drive of a Bull was '86 fleet car of my employer. Basic Taurus, 6 cylinder but it key fob. That was quite unusual in that time frame on any car. Especially a basic as the came. When they got to 100K they were replaced with new, or a few set aside for smokers. They were for day trips or one max overnight, otherwise we had to rent. Very convenient as just schedule, sign out, pick up the keys, elevator to the basement and drive out. They ran up the miles fast and had very little issues.
-chart-

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are lots of unusual options out there. My first drive of a Bull was '86 fleet car of my employer. Basic Taurus, 6 cylinder but it key fob. That was quite unusual in that time frame on any car. Especially a basic as the came. When they got to 100K they were replaced with new, or a few set aside for smokers. They were for day trips or one max overnight, otherwise we had to rent. Very convenient as just schedule, sign out, pick up the keys, elevator to the basement and drive out. They ran up the miles fast and had very little issues.
-chart-
That is pretty strange, I didn't even know they had keyless entry in 1986. I kind of miss the old days of grab bag options. Now everything is part of packages, so the amount of total variety is a lot more limited.

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
Thanks! By the way, since you would know, where can I buy a welded gen 3 SHO? I've wanted one for a minute now but I'm clueless as to where to look.
Any Gen 3 SHO is like finding hen's teeth anymore. Nice ones even harder but some stellar examples are still out there.

I am setting up a camweld for a lucky guy who found a pristine 30,000 mile 97 in Indiana. Not really doing camwelds anymore but this one was too nice to not see taken care of.

3 main camwelders in the heyday of Gen 3 SHO welding were FPS in Atlanta, NESHO in Massachusettes, and myself in Chicago, There was a few more people out there doing good work but their quantity of cars wasn't much.

I would probably try looking in the Southeast first as the rust bug is strong in Mass and ChiRaq.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Any Gen 3 SHO is like finding hen's teeth anymore. Nice ones even harder but some stellar examples are still out there.

I am setting up a camweld for a lucky guy who found a pristine 30,000 mile 97 in Indiana. Not really doing camwelds anymore but this one was too nice to not see taken care of.

3 main camwelders in the heyday of Gen 3 SHO welding were FPS in Atlanta, NESHO in Massachusettes, and myself in Chicago, There was a few more people out there doing good work but their quantity of cars wasn't much.

I would probably try looking in the Southeast first as the rust bug is strong in Mass and ChiRaq.
There's a local silver 97 that popped up recently, 122K miles, but zero history because it was an impound. They want a grand for it, but I don't know if there's any welding resources on the west coast anymore. I certainly can't do it. I don't mind feeding a V8 SHO as far as maintenance and parts goes, I'm pretty good with wrenching by this point (I've also spent many nights on V8SHO.com for the funsies). It's not rusty and seems to run good, so I keep thinking about grabbing it. Maybe I can just sit on it until my tig welding skills get good enough, or I can find someone local willing to try doing it.

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
There is a small chance it could be welded. There was a pair of guys working together in the Bay area who did a few cars.

Then there is John Stoessel (sp?) in the LA area who I have only heard great things about. I forget who, but it was one of the old timers, mentioned recently that John was still somewhat active.

Anybody know the status of John???

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
So my 98 SE is the first gen 3 I've owned, and it's in surprisingly decent shape overall. Always was curious about these, so glad I'm getting to experience one finally. But I have a few questions because I can't remember a lot of this stuff, lol.

1: Were rear disc brakes an option on the sedan or standard? This one has rear discs (thank the lord).
2: Are headlights the same from 1996-1999? I found some nicer ones in the junkyard from a 96, mine is a 98.
3: Are the Mach tweeters any different from the standard ones?
4: Was power seating an option or standard? This one is electric.
5: Does the AX4S take Mercon V like the AX4N does?
6: This is an oddball, but does anyone know what the sticker on my transmission pan is for? It says something about a TSB before servicing. I need to get a picture of it.
7: Power steering system still uses Mercon V right?

I tried looking through the wiki but didn't see exactly what I was looking for. I'm especially curious about the options because this is a very oddly optioned car. Bench seat w/ cloth, but electric seats? Vulcan and AX4S, but rear discs? It also has the standard climate controls and no keyless entry module.
just a note on the rear disks: if the car has any kind of miles on it and is anywhere near the rust belt ill bet you a old
donut that at least one on the rear caliper is froze up on its guide pins. had that issue in two of my bulls. one was so bad i needed a new bracket. went to the upull yard and most of them were froze up too! Good PM to take the rear disks apart, clean them up, and put caliper pin lube on them. i also had to replace a caliper due to stuck rusted on bleeder nut. While your down there...
check the brake lines under the drivers door area. in high rust/salt areas, they rust on there and leak. dam plastic cover they put over them there holds the crud on them and makes them fail faster.

Reactions: sheila and ice445

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
just a note on the rear disks: if the car has any kind of miles on it and is anywhere near the rust belt ill bet you a old
donut that at least one on the rear caliper is froze up on its guide pins. had that issue in two of my bulls. one was so bad i needed a new bracket. went to the upull yard and most of them were froze up too! Good PM to take the rear disks apart, clean them up, and put caliper pin lube on them. i also had to replace a caliper due to stuck rusted on bleeder nut. While your down there...
check the brake lines under the drivers door area. in high rust/salt areas, they rust on there and leak. dam plastic cover they put over them there holds the crud on them and makes them fail faster.
Really good to know. I'm currently going through the car right now, will definitely check the brakes. Needs timing cover gasket first sadly. Lol

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,060 Posts
Just a minor comment on power passenger seats - I've almost never seen a Ford car with a cloth power passenger seat. Always seems to be exclusive to leather - probably for cost reasons.

Reactions: ice445

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've had good luck using anti-seize on the rear pins.
I'm still gonna double check all the slide pins before I put her on the road, but someone clearly did the brakes not that long ago mileage wise. Pads and rotors have a ton of meat on them. I'm currently pulling the timing cover to do that gasket so it will be checked eventually, haha.
Just a minor comment on power passenger seats - I've almost never seen a Ford car with a cloth power passenger seat. Always seems to be exclusive to leather - probably for cost reasons.
Yeah, it has a manual passenger seat. I was just confused on the driver one since the last lower option car I had was my 06 and that was manual on both seats. But that was also well after the great cheapning wall so I suppose that's not terribly surprising.

My Mustang GT has a cloth power passenger seat. The Mustang is definitely an exception though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts