Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
aight...

i plan on finally doing the interior swap with a friend. think we are swapping headliners this week...

anyone ever took out headliner and have any tips or tricks?

same with the dash and carpet...

need any tips or anything for taking out and puttin in a dash, carpet, headliner....

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
One major thing that i learned when it was too late, was to keep all the screws, nuts, and bolts clearly labled. and organized by what there for. Just be careful, the plastic pillars and such can be easily discolored if the plastic is bent too much.

D

·
0 Posts
expect to spend a lot of time on the dash, then double it, lol. I have not done dash removals on a Taurus but have on Mustangs and Trans Am's and let me tell you... PITA. Don't start it unless you can finish it (time wise).

Good luck and perhaps you can take some pics for a "How-To" to help other members out.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i have talked to bob about headliner...he said its pretty easy...just dont crease it. not worried about trim pieces and stuff...ive already removed most of them before anyways. carpet shouldnt be too bad...just gotta take everything out for it...

the dash...hm...im worried about air bag...thats the only major prob i can see....also any hidden bolts or anything....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Like Doc, I haven't done one on a Taurus, but I've done them on Lincolns, including the Continental, which is similar.

I'm not sure what you'll be doing (reinstalling or installing new) but I'll give tips that will apply to both. As JasonBVHS said, all the plastics can discolor (generally a light streak) any where that the part is bent. Pull the parts off uniformally. Generally there are several metal spring clips that hold the parts in.

The headliner is a high density foam that will crease if bent too far, but there is enough flexibility to get it out. It's almost impossible to get the crease out once you get one. Normally the headliner is installed through the windshield opening which probably is not an option.

The order that I would do it in is as follows.

1) Disconnect the battery first. With the type of work you are doing you can set off airbags. It's been done. Remove the seats being careful not to rip them going through the door openings or scratching the paint in the openings from the metal on the bottoms.

2) Remove the door panels next followed by the plastic trim, front belts (make note of the twist and direction of twist) and weatherstrips.

3) Next would be the console.

4) Next would be the dash - you'll need two strong people for this as it's also awkward to handle and you don't want to hit door jamb edges. When putting it back in be very careful when you hook up the main wire harness to the underhood harness to have them properly aligned. If not you can get a pin pushout and that can be very hard to troubleshoot. On the Continental there was something like an 84 pin connector. Also, don't overtorque the bolt that tightens them together. They can snap and then it is very hard to get a good "long term" connection.

5) I'd take out the headliner (now that everything is out of it's way). You'll want to drop the front down towards the floor and out the front door. When it goes out the door you'll more or less have it on it's side.

6) The carpet and package tray are next followed by the rear belts, again watching the belt twists.

When you put it back together watch your torques. The torque on the belts, seats, IP, steering knuckle and console are FMVSS regulated, which are for your and your passengers safety.

As they say assembly is the reverse of the above. With 2 people (trained professionals) and the proper tools it takes 2-3 hours. I'd double or triple that and that's just to take it apart! Hopefully you won't have to improvise too much.

Sorry for the long winded advice, but I hope it helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts