Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
1999 Taurus SE Wagon (dohc, ax4n)
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sorry to start ANOTHER thread about headlights, but I went through about 9 pages of the search and didn't see what I am looking for. I haven't replaced a headlight bulb on a Gen 3 since 2008 or 2009.

Gen 3 (1999). Chilton's notes to remove the 3 x 10mm bolts that hold the housing in place, and gently move the housing forward until you can access the rear of the housing to twist the .... Yeah, got it.

I removed the 3 bolts and it still feels like something else is holding it in place. I tried the other side, and it has the same feeling. Next to the rear, inside bolt is a small flexible or movable arm. Does that have anything to do with it? Any tricks to getting it removed? It doesn't look like just road grime or anything holding it in place.

Appreciate any help as I've got a bulb out and don't want to get pulled over.

Registered
With my 2000 Taurus SES the procedure is described in the Owner's Manual. If you no longer have that manual, you can download it from the Ford website.

Registered
You have to loosen, not remove, the long rear pinch bolt and then pull the headlight assy. forward. Snug it back up when done.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You have to loosen, not remove, the long rear pinch bolt and then pull the headlight assy. forward. Snug it back up when done.
Any chance you could pop your hood and .point to which bolt you鈥檙e talking about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
It's in between the other 2 rear bolts. Standing at the front bumper, look for the ~4" pinch bolt in the back of the assy.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's in between the other 2 rear bolts. Standing at the front bumper, look for the ~4" pinch bolt in the back of the assy.
Thank you Sheila.

I tell people all the time, "Google is your friend," (mostly because I own some stock in it). I should have done an image search and I'd have see this. Well, time to go out and see how the LED lamps work.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got it done. Bought some LED 9007 bulbs from Amazon, "SEALIGHT 9007/HB5 LED Bulbs 14000LM Dual Bulbs X1 Series 6000K Xenon White Non-polarity" for $30. They had good reviews (who knows anymore with all of Amazon's reviews/reviewer scandals) but figured they came with Amazon's return policy and a 6 month warranty. OK, we'll check them out.

I adjusted the pictures so the red end of my windshield wiper was about the same brightness in each. I was hoping to make it clearer, but the images are not as good and they are lighting up objects 12 feet and about 30 feet away (cars, buildings). The new ones are noticeably brighter and of course very white.

^^ Old high beams vv Old low beams (the driver's side was out; reason for replacing).

^^ new low beams vv new high beams

Reactions: james27613
1 - 7 of 7 Posts