Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cassette player in my '99 Taurus has been broken since I bought it. For some odd reason, no cassettes would fit inside it. As it turns out, the loading tray is broken. I was able to pop it back in place, but when i tried loading a cassette it just broke again. Does anyone know how to fix or replace it? And if I need to replace it, where can I find a replacement? (I already tried a junkyard)

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Say I do find the piece; How would I remove and install it? Is there a guide on how to do it?

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
You just insert two special tools you can buy for a few bucks or two philps screwdrivers and pull it out. Easy. Switch wires and hoses. Ten minutes tops

·
Registered
22,491 Posts
Fwiw, you need 1 from a '98/'99 Taurus/Sable. '96/'97 have different elec. conn. You can buy the 2 u-shaped Ford radio removal tools at Walmart, parts stores, Amazon or Ebay for ~$5.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
You will need one of these tool sets:
OTC 7575 Radio Removal Tool for Ford https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002SRBJ8

Not sure about year compatibility, but it make sure you get the one with the same A/C / Climate controls.

However, if you have manual A/C controls you can easily put in an aftermarket system using one of these kits:
Scosche FD134030B ICP Kit DIN/ISO with Complete Harness Set for 1996-1999 Ford Taurus/Sable with Rotary Climate Controls https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KIR8MK

And your choice of stereo.

Alternatively, if your unit is not at the point of causing a drain on your battery yet... You could do something like this and just hook up a Bluetooth or any device with the 3.5mm audio out to a channel on your radio...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@sheila, @gamefanatic
I’m not intending on removing the entire radio, just the little tray that loads the cassettes. But since you asked, I’ve got the automatic climate controls. Thanks for the info anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts