Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i know there was one already in my gen 2 that allowed a cable to go from the engine compartment into the drivers side right under the steering wheel that was already precut and had a little rubber grommet in it. So is there one in the gen 3 and if so where? I looked all around this evening and couldn't find anything on the drivers side...havent looked at passenger yet...so if there isnt one where else have people gone through?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah there is one, you must have just missed it. It is pretty much right above the fusebox under the driver's footwell. You might have to pull some wires aside to see it, but its there.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Drakkon

What you want to do is. Get a flash light, and with the hood open. Shine it on the drivers side back torwards the fire wall right above the strut tower and just to the top right of the brake booster.(its back in there) You will see a black grommet. Like MeeSHO said. On the inside on the drivers side, it is right above the fuse box. You can take the fuse box cover off and on the bottom of the fuse box there is I think 2 nuts that hold the fuse box there. Remove those and you can unsnap or pop off the fuse box down out of the way and it makes it easier to see and get to on the inside. You'll figure it out.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Thanks guys.... I was going to re-wire my setup this weekend and this helps out alot. I'm using a hole directly underneath the driver's floor board. My wire runs dow the firewall and under the car about 1 foot before it goes into the cabin. I didn't like this setup, but wanted to get it installed. I knew there had to be something better.

BTW - Is it big enough to run two 4g wires (+/-) ?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Yea I believe it is. Its about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 in diameter. Going by my bad memory. The best thing to do I think is. Get the fuse box out of the way and take the grommet out and cut it out to slide over the wires.(snug) Then put the wires through the hole to where you got to go. Then you use the wires as a guide to slide it back up into place and snap it back into the hole. To pop it out it goes from the outside in. So to put it back it will slide up the wires on the inside to snap back in.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
w00t
finally found it...right there behind the fusebox like said...i guess i shouldn't have been looking in the evneing...it was hidden amongst the shadows ... its kinda higher up there though from where it was on the gen 2 and a lot more hidden

So now that i have power running into cabin i'm needing a remote turn on lead...all i can find are wires that give 4v when the radio is on...or a constant 12V even when the radio is off :-/ so anyone know if the premium sys on a gen 3 has one or not? I tried all the blue/blue-white wires i could find to no avail...and i'd really prefer not to put a transformer in my car just for a turn on lead...
wish someone had a list of what each wire is actually going to...figured out all the speakers and the power antenna and main power/grounds but theres still a few wires that im not sure of...

·
Registered
308 Posts
Dude I can't help you out there. Thats not my thing.
you need someone else to respond to this.
I know their out there.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Isn't the wire going to the power antenna the same as the remote turn on? Antenna goes up when you turn on the radio, and goes down when you turn it off. In other cars, that is what I used for the remote turn on for the amps.

Ken

·
Registered
147 Posts
Checked my Haynes and Chilton manuals. Chilton does not show the radio schematics at all. The Haynes schematic says "Typical Audio System". Anyway, it shows a Black/Pink wire going from the fuse panel to the head unit that is "Hot in Run or ACC".

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
If anyone finds this let me know! I need to find power for my deck without messing with the ignition.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cool the pink and black wire worked...it is the remote turn on lead for the cd changer apparently and it puts out a 12V low amp signal when the ignition is on
so now i got dual Infinity Perfect 10's subs working with a Visonik V900XD amp and a working knowledge of the wiring system for the gen3 taurus with a mach audio setup

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
for my amp i found the radio fuse in the fuse box, spliced the end of my remote wire and wrapped it around the one prong of the fuse thats how i did it.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
I found that hole and it was a biatch to get to. I pulled the fuse box out of the way and pulled the carpet back. It's an OK fit for 1 4g wire with a grommet, but would be a pretty tight fit for 2 4g wires without a grommet and then I'd be afraid of the firewall cutting into the + wire and grounding.

Plus my alarm. siren, and FSTB are all in the way of installation. I might try again, but I was to tired to mess with it this weekend.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hmm...I ran my power cable for my amp through my driver-side fenderwell and then through a grommet between my door and my fender. Oh yeah...it was a 4 AWG cable. I used a GM PCV grommet to seal the cable and protect it. It was a bit of a squeeze, but it worked out really well. Oh yeah...if you guys want schematics...I have them. Depends on what you need...PM me if you need something...I might have it. Ford service manuals on CD...hehehe.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts