Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
I'm not happy.... They used the 96-97 front grill. IMO it's fugly! The 98-99 front grill looks much better.

I won't "downgrade" my '99 to look like a '96.

What a disappointment. :(

Sorry for the lame pic, but its the best I could find for a comparison.

http://www.andysautosport.com/ford/images/96_99taurus_c-27front.jpg' alt='' width='473' height='289' class='attach' />[/url]
[url=http://www.v8sho.com/SHO/images/rage5.jpg][img]http://www.v8sho.com/SHO/images/rage5.jpg' alt='' width='400' height='285' class='attach' />[/url]

S

·
0 Posts
It's alriiight.. but if I had a gen 3 I'd just buy some SHO bumpers.. but I'd get the side skirts and door caps.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the front a lot! the rear could use some IN-PERSON or UP-CLOSE effects to change my mind about it. Other than that, the door caps are okay if you like that kinda thing, and the sideskirts don't look that bad. of course if you wanted, you could get the 2000+ kit skirts (which I think look better). I still like the RAZZI skirts better. So I think I'll definately get the front and if I decide to get the rear, I may as well get the whole kit, but I'm kinda torn between the SHO rear and this one. I like the SHO rear b/c the RAZZI skirts go with it pretty well, but I like this new one b/c it's something different. If someone's willing to buy my SHO rear from me, I'll buy the kit. To go off subject for a sec, I can't take anything less than $200 (+ actual shipping) for it since it's primed and ready for paint. I have $250 invested in it and it looks much better now than it did when I received it.

N

·
0 Posts
i was just sitting here tinking that the side skirts and door caps will fit a Gen4 since gen3 and 4 use the same doors. The kit overall looks good, but they should have used a 98-99 front end or an SHO front end to make the front bumper.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
What's the difference in the grills other than the 98-99 has the logo inside of the opening and the 96-97 has the logo on top of the opening. I would like to see better angles on the kit other than the ones posted. I'm definately getting this kit not just because I LIKE IT, but because Andy's was the only manufacturer to step up to the plate!
"It's on baby!" :chili:

Y

·
0 Posts
I like the kit painted! thats sharp, but.. I LOVE those rims, what kind are they?? lol anyone know? i have to get them!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think it looks pretty good. Its a fairly different style, yet once its painted I think it will be relatively conservative. However, I do agree that they should have based it upon the 98-99 style front end. Overall, I think they did a great job.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I must say, they did a good job. If I had a Gen 3, I'd be saving the pennies immediately, that is a sexy kit. I guess the Gen 2 is next?? :D

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by MaltaTaurus69@Jul 1 2004, 10:52 AM
I guess the Gen 2 is next??  :D
It's already there, along with the Gen 4. :slap:

I agree that the front oval opening is WAY too small. The 98-99 oval is bigger (as is the 96-99 SHO.) Maybe they can re-tool and change it? Otherwise, the SHO bumper looks better. Those side skirts are cool though. If I ever need a re-paint, I'd get those first.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you guys want a wider opening for the front, it should be easy enough to dremmel out. Hey all you sable people who are getting depressed, I know the rear ends are slightly different on a taurus/sable but have you noticed that the space under the lights and to the bottom of the trunk lid are the same. I think the big difference in the sable was the top portion. So I doubt the bumper is effected. Someone measure all that on your taurus so I can be sure. Any body kit a person buys takes some modification, and I personally am ready to cut to make that front end fit with sable lights. I will be ordering the kit very soon, just have to wait for a little more money. If I didnt just tint my windows I would have enough.

Then again with the amount of resin I have left over maybe I should just make one, lol. Just kidding. Support your aftermarket, they did something amazing for us.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
I have to give to them though, they incorporated the kit on the orange Contour with the Rage kit. They even hooked up the rear apron for the exhausts depending on what you got blowing out of your rear. Maybe somebody can PhotoChop it. I would like to see a side view though.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
I'm with you about the 99 front end. i would much rather take the SHO front end over this kit, the oval just cheapens the look for me. but thats just my opinion. i understand that these things need work reguardless, but i don't feel too comfortable spending $800 just to be taking a dremel to it. especially when your working on the parts of the bumper that are to be visible.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Originally posted by SixFoFalcon+Jul 1 2004, 10:06 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SixFoFalcon @ Jul 1 2004, 10:06 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MaltaTaurus69@Jul 1 2004, 10:52 AM
I guess the Gen 2 is next??  :D
It's already there, along with the Gen 4. :slap:

I agree that the front oval opening is WAY too small. The 98-99 oval is bigger (as is the 96-99 SHO.) Maybe they can re-tool and change it? Otherwise, the SHO bumper looks better. Those side skirts are cool though. If I ever need a re-paint, I'd get those first. [/b][/quote]
The Gen 2 doesnt have a kit yet...

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Why does it seem like everybody was so gung ho on having a kit for the Gen III but now that it's out, so far all I have seen for the most part is bashing. I mean if the only thing you can find wrong with the kit is the grill opening, then there is nothing really wrong with the kit. It's a friggin hole for cryin out loud. You'll put a dremel to everything else but not the kit and the car is worth more? It's like all of those signatures on the bodykit petition were for nothing. Who else do you know of that would work with us with and not ask for the money up front? Thanks Andy's! ;)

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by MaltaTaurus69@Jul 1 2004, 11:33 AM
The Gen 2 doesnt have a kit yet...
Where are you looking? :headscratch: I see 3 kits for Taurus: '86-'95 (Gen 1&2), '96-'99, and '00-'04.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Originally posted by gryphon1011@Jul 1 2004, 10:42 AM
Why does it seem like everybody was so gung ho on having a kit for the Gen III but now that it's out, so far all I have seen for the most part is bashing. I mean if the only thing you can find wrong with the kit is the grill opening, then there is nothing really wrong with the kit. It's a friggin hole for cryin out loud. You'll put a dremel to everything else but not the kit and the car is worth more? It's like all of those signatures on the bodykit petition were for nothing. Who else do you know of that would work with us with and not ask for the money up front? Thanks Andy's! ;)
We're not bashing it, we're simply voicing our opinions about it. I personally agree about the grille opening. Everyone was gung ho about having a kit, but everyone also stated they want it to be like the Rage kit. I praise Andy's for making the kit, but they should have gotten more details about what everyone wants before they made the kit. Then sales would be up and we wouldn't have to hear the typical "the demand isn't there, so no one makes them." The demand would be there if we got it how 95% of the people here want it. I have this same problem with a vendor I have at work. They decide what's best for us, build it, and when we tell them it's not what we want, we're the bad guys.

It's not just a hole, it makes or breaks the front end of the car. That grille hole ruins the front end. I wouldn't mind taking a dremel to it, but the point is I just paid $800 for something and it damn well had better fit and look the way I want it when I buy it. Taking a dremel to the car is a different story. It's a car that the manufacturer made to appease 95% of the population. It's expected that things won't be the way we want them because we are the 5% of the population that isn't happy with cars off the assembly line. In this case it seems the other way around. 95% don't like the grille, but 5% do. The signatures weren't for nothing, we finally got a kit. The problem is no one came to us with a couple of draft designs and let us decide what looked better, worse, or in the middle. Maybe after reading this thread they can re-do the hole so it's like the 98-99'?

I do thank Andy's a whole lot for having the balls, time, and money to invest in this. Besides the grille, the whole kit is a job extremely well done!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hey I was talking to a guy from the body shop, he said that a taurus rear should bolt right on to a sable rear with little or no modification. He was looking at a couple and he couldnt see the difference in the rear ends aside from the lights, he said it looked like the bumpers were almost identical. There might be a slight difference in length on the sides to the fenders but he wasnt sure. Can someone get some measurements of their taurus rear bumpers. If there is any modding required I am glad to do it, and I would be even happier to write a write up so anyone else can to. Only thing I can see for now is that I might have to add a little fiberglass to the top of the bumper to make it a little taller to meet the trunk on a sable

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
You're right NateNBeckie. I mean we did talk about what we wanted until we turned blue in the face and even wrote in but I think part of the problem with the grill opening is that the donor car IS a 96-97. Nobody donated a 98-99 so they had to work with what they had and nobody said anything to them about their preference in grille openings, just bodykits. I know there are people who will say they don't like the grill but I think it's just like the Tauruses we drive, change what you don't like. I mean when we bought our Tauri they weren't perfect but some of us have turned them into masterpieces. (SHO's Exculded) That's what makes it fun. To see somebody who didn't like the grille opening,alter it to fit their tastes. That's what's it's all about after all isn't it?

1 - 20 of 174 Posts