Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, as the title states, I have a Gen 2 Vulcan. I though replacing the p/s pump would be straightforward and couldn't figure it out at the junkyard yard.

As reman parts, the pulley and the pump w/ reservoir are sold seperately.

How do I remove the pump and pulley? I believe mine is original Motorcraft and I don't see a bolt going into the pulley.

I would have to remove the alternator to get to the bracket holding the p/s pump. Would i need to remove the belt tensioner? Do I remove the entire bracket with P/S pump and pulley?

·
Registered
671 Posts
QUOTE (fdogg96 @ May 31 2010, 08:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808212
So, as the title states, I have a Gen 2 Vulcan. I though replacing the p/s pump would be straightforward and couldn't figure it out at the junkyard yard.

How do I remove the pump and pulley? I believe mine is original Motorcraft and I don't see a bolt going into the pulley.

I would have to remove the alternator to get to the bracket holding the p/s pump. Would i need to remove the belt tensioner? Do I remove the entire bracket with P/S pump and pulley?[/b]
The power steering pulley needs a special tool called the power steering pulley puller. You can probably pick one up from a rent-a-tool program. I rented one about 7 months ago and they never called me back, so I hope they lost the paperwork. IIRC, you need the pulley off to remove the bracket.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (Palach @ May 31 2010, 07:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808220

I would have to remove the alternator to get to the bracket holding the p/s pump. Would i need to remove the belt tensioner? Do I remove the entire bracket with P/S pump and pulley?[/b]
The power steering pulley needs a special tool called the power steering pulley puller. You can probably pick one up from a rent-a-tool program. I rented one about 7 months ago and they never called me back, so I hope they lost the paperwork. IIRC, you need the pulley off to remove the bracket.
[/b][/quote]

OMG....there's a special tool for that? No wonder it looks like there is no way to take it off. Thanks, I'll check it out.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
QUOTE (Palach @ May 31 2010, 09:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808220

[/b][/quote]

Two ways to do it.
Get the special PS Pulley puller tool (harbor freight has one, chinsy, but it works)

OR>>>

go to U-PULL yard and get a pump complete with bracket and it will bolt right on.
You may need to get new seals for the High pressure line where it screws into the pump.
Last time i did it, i could not find aftermarket and went to the ford dealer to get them.

Whats Wrong with your old pump? If it leaking at the tank, you can put a new o ring on the
reservoirs.

bob

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (soundu @ Jun 1 2010, 06:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808518

[/b][/quote]

Two ways to do it.
Get the special PS Pulley puller tool (harbor freight has one, chinsy, but it works)

OR>>>

go to U-PULL yard and get a pump complete with bracket and it will bolt right on.
You may need to get new seals for the High pressure line where it screws into the pump.
Last time i did it, i could not find aftermarket and went to the ford dealer to get them.

Whats Wrong with your old pump? If it leaking at the tank, you can put a new o ring on the
reservoirs.

bob
[/b][/quote]

The pulley doesn't turn well...and the p/s pump whines. It's not leaking.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
QUOTE (fdogg96 @ Jun 2 2010, 02:34 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808607
QUOTE (soundu @ Jun 1 2010, 06:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808518

[/b][/quote]

Two ways to do it.

OR>>>

reservoirs.

bob
[/b][/quote]

The pulley doesn't turn well...and the p/s pump whines. It's not leaking.
[/b][/quote]

There is going to some tension if you try to turn it with the serp belt off, that's normal.
does the rack work OK, or does the pump just whine? If the fluid looks dark and smells,
you might try a flush before you change the pump.

To remove, yes the alternator has to at least pivot out of the way and the tensioner
as i recall has to go too. Think it takes a T50 or so to remove it. I got a large set
of 3/8 socket torx tools from harbor freight. as long as you got it off, inspect it and spin it
and make sure its not failing also. If its a higher mileage Vulcan, i would change the
water pump while your at it. Take off the radiator overflow tank before you start
There is a flush procedure on the site somewhere, you can search for it.

bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts