Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 93 3.2 auto sho. It was my dads and he says it acts like its slipping but he unhooked something and it'll run good but only in 3rd gear. I'm wondering what electrical parts could be causing this. I'm planning on getting the upgraded (94-95) PCM. Is there anything else I need to look into? We bought the trans used, but it still seems to be ok mechanically. Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Not to be rude but...why in the hell would you blame the PCM for a slipping transmission?

The reason the trans was only in 3rd when the harness as disconnected was because it put the transmission into failure mode. If anything, a problem with the PCM that affected the transmission would do the same thing: put it in failure mode.

How many miles are on the car? It's probably just worn out and needs a rebuild. What exactly is going on when this "slipping" occurs? How is the vehicle being driven when it happens? What gears is it shifting to and from when it happens?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I blame the pcm because the car will run/drive fine for a couple weeks after the battery has been disconnected THEN start slipping. (I also found this in my research " The PCM has an adaptive strategy that allows it to modify the shift characteristics over time for smoother operation. If the battery is disconnected, these learned settings go away and the PCM has to start all over again, which may cause harsher shifts for several hundred miles until the PCM sorts things out again.") To me it seems the pcm resets and drives ok for awhile then goes back to bad setting caused by the pcm or another sensor. I'm pretty much an auto transmission idiot which is why I'm asking for help. It's been awhile but I remember it downshifts real hard between 2nd to 1st. Its been awhile since it's been driven so I honestly can't remember a lot, but I also don't remember it "Slipping" only down shifting hard. The car has 158k, but the trans could have way more since we bought it used. It does it when the car is being driven normally. I don't mind anyone being "rude". This is a problem I'm trying to figure out to see if it's worth fixing and how much it'll be. I'd hate to have the trans rebuilt then find out the problem is still there.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
You keep saying after the battery is disconnected, why??? Are you constantly unhooking it?? If so, again, why?? You say the transmission was replaced, was it replaced with another SHO unit, because if it was taken from a regular Taurus, the gearing is different, as well as the programming and shift strategies.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was an extra car for awhile so it didn't always have a battery in it. And it was disconnected for other repairs. We bought it with the seller claiming it to be a sho trans so I believe it is. Anyway I can check without having to pull it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts