Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, today I did some major work on the red wagon. Its been past due for a trans flush and I have had this gen 2 cooler sitting around since spring. So, first stop, autozone.
Parts needed.....
14 qts of Valvoline Mercon V fluid @ $4.99 a bottle
1 trans filter @ $17.99
6 feet of 3/8th rubber line @ $1.99 / foot
1 pack of hose clamps @ $2.49
1 pair of 3/8 hose barb fittings ( a second trip, will explain)

OK, so I fugured the easy way would be to remove the bumper cover. 6 bolts, 2 screws and 2 push pins and the cover was removed.

I mounted the gen 2 SHO cooler on the bottom of the lower header panel. It will get more than enough air through the center opening on the bumper cover.

I unhooked the original single tube cooler and then flushed out the system by starting the car till air bubbles came out of the hose. Once this was done, I removed the trans pan and ended up getting almost 10 qts out. I mounted the cooler to the header panel with some 1/4-28 bolts so there was a few threads in the steel. I was going to hook the gen2 cooler in line with the original cooler, but I didnt like the way the hose kinked in the turns so I pluged it in case I need it in the future. My lines now run from the trans to the radiator to the SHO cooler and back to the trans. (this is why the barb fittings, I only needed to add about 4 inches of hose at each end) Omnce the cooler was hooked up, I filled the system and did the test ride re-check and everything is good, no leaks or problems. This took some time to do, but is really worth it and cheaper than taking it someplace.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
That bumper is some hard steel isn't it?

I used some 3/8" steel reinforced high pressure hydraulic hose to connect the two coolers. You can bend this in a tight radius and it will not kink. Generally not reusable though as removing it from a barb will destroy it. So keep some around.

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
Cool, heres how I did my gen3 SHO. That small cooler in front of it is power steering.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That bumper is some hard steel isn't it?

I used some 3/8" steel reinforced high pressure hydraulic hose to connect the two coolers. You can bend this in a tight radius and it will not kink. Generally not reusable though as removing it from a barb will destroy it. So keep some around.
I have heard that the lower header is a harder steel, but I used a small center drill to get the hole started then I used a cobalt drill, one that we use at work for drilling through stainless steel. I was looking at some regular hydraulic hose at work also, but still wasnt happy with the bend radius, and the hose we use cant be held on with a simple screw clamp. They trans system isnt that high of a pressure to need that anyways.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I know you don't need it for the pressure. But it allows the hose to have the tightest radius and not kink. You can use it with hose clamps and barbs. Just can't get it loose without destroying it.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Wow! Those are nice pictures. Does one have to go to the boneyard to the 2nd GEN SHO trans cooler? I can see where the SHO cooler may have other applications than a Taurus/Sable.

I'm currently using the original tube cooler + trans cooler in radiator + B&M Supercooler.

However I would like to get my hands on the SHO cooler and stuff it in.

Monsoon

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow! Those are nice pictures. Does one have to go to the boneyard to the 2nd GEN SHO trans cooler? I can see where the SHO cooler may have other applications than a Taurus/Sable.

I'm currently using the original tube cooler + trans cooler in radiator + B&M Supercooler.

However I would like to get my hands on the SHO cooler and stuff it in.

Monsoon

I dont know of anyone selling those Gen2 SHO coolers new anymore. Everyone I know has been finding them in the junk yards. I have found 4 over the last couple years and only one of them was good. With the mounting location they tend to get busted up once the cars hit the yards. Good luck finding one, they are like finding gold anymore....LOL. I am looking to pick up another one when I find it even just for a spair.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts