Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know that there is already a post on an ATX to MTX swap....

but my plan is to have the car looking like it came out of the showroom with the MTX transmission and 3.0l

Today I went to the pick-a-part and got a few juicy things out of a wrecked 87 Taurus....

MTX steering Column assy
MTX brake/clutch pedal assy
MTX console shifter assy along with the bracketery and cables

as well, I plan on converting my bank fire 3.0 over to SEFI Mass Air, so in the future I can mod out the engine a bit without worrying about running into the problems with the speed density system

so for that I picked up my 92 Tempo 3.0 V6 computer... just have to get the harness for he engine out of an 91 taurus/sable for the SEFI

I will have some pictures up tomorrow of some of the parts for the swap

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
177 Posts
good luck with all that. one thing that u wont need to do that will save you many hrs of time is u dont have to replace steering coloms. all i did was remove the cable brakes from under the dash, and remove the shift lever (tree) all u will need is to get a cover from a mtx colom. have fun with the pedal assembly. that was the hardest thing to do on that besides hooking up the clutch cable to the shift lever on hte tranny. but if u have any Q's just ask away. gald to see that i started something good. oh and the tranny mount thing will be an issue. u will need the mount that is on that transmission. it will have to be one from a SHO. it is the only one that will work, the tempo doesnt have the same mounting. ok anyway, u will need the tranny mount from a SHO and the mount that bolts to the cradle of ur car. i wouldnt go buy a new one if u dont have to, u are going to hafta cut all the rubber off of this one. that s*** is tuff. the best thing i did to get it off was cut as much as i could with a serated knife. and buy some chem dip from oriellys. 14.99 gets a lot of stuff good and clean.i will have pics of my mounts up so u can see how u will have to mod them.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was actually looking at the trans mount off of the 2.5 Taurus, to see if that will mount up to the 3.0 trans and subframe......

I know that I don't have to change the column.... but it was there, and it'll take me 1/2 hour to swap it over

Yeah, for sure, it should be fun...... can hardly wait, get to shift the Taurus the way that I want, not the way that it wants :lol2:

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I found my transmission, and halfshafts....... in our local pick-a-part they just brought in a rusted out 89 SHO.... so I'm going next weekend to jack the transmission and halfshafts out of it....... and as well the front and rear bumpers and instrument cluster..... 220 km/h speedo...... nice.......

so hopefully in the next 2-3 weeks I'll be driving around my MTX Taurus.....

Damn I can't wait........

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, this swap will be put off for a little bit for now, at least untill I can aqquire a 3.0 L engine for my car...... since my other car didn't turn out, had to buy another one.... which, has a 4 cyl in it right now.......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.