Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My autolamp has a problem. It won't come up even if it's dark outside. The parking lights work, the dash is illuminated.

EATC test returns code 051, "Solar Radiation Sensor Open". I first thought this was my problem. A search on the forum, however, indicates code 051 would cause the autolamps to stay ALWAYS ON, NOT ALWAYS OFF.

So now I am thinking it is a relay inside the GEM. My understanding is relays inside the GEM are not serviceable. The whole GEM needs to be replaced but it's big $$$.

So my logic next step seems to be a visit to the junk yards. Problem is, I couldn't find a single 2000 Taurus within 150 miles. Lots of '99's or earlier and a few '01 -- '03's. Calls to the yards did not yield much information at the trim level.

hence the question:

what year/trim would have a GEM I can use?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
OK so for a 2000 you would need a central junction box (the GEM module snaps onto the back of it). 01 is different, as is the 02-03.

Car needs to have been equipped from the factory with remote keyless entry. An SES (SE SVG, a P55 vin) or a SEL (SE Comfort P56 VIN) is what you'll want it from. AutoLamp and Keypad functionality are embeded in the CJB, just the wires are not on place depending on model/options.

You could also get the CJB from a 2000 Mercury Sable LS Prem with a M55 vin.

Before you buy a bunch of stuff...try disconnecting the sunload sensor from the wiring. Does this make your AutoLamps stay on 24/7 if you have the switch in the (A) position.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ May 26 2010, 06:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807095
OK so for a 2000 you would need a central junction box (the GEM module snaps onto the back of it). 01 is different, as is the 02-03.

Car needs to have been equipped from the factory with remote keyless entry. An SES (SE SVG, a P55 vin) or a SEL (SE Comfort P56 VIN) is what you'll want it from. AutoLamp and Keypad functionality are embeded in the CJB, just the wires are not on place depending on model/options.

You could also get the CJB from a 2000 Mercury Sable LS Prem with a M55 vin.

Before you buy a bunch of stuff...try disconnecting the sunload sensor from the wiring. Does this make your AutoLamps stay on 24/7 if you have the switch in the (A) position.[/b]
Thanks Nick.

So you are saying I am pretty much limited to 2000 Taurus SES or SEL, or a Sable LS Prem? No luck for me then, I couldn't find one 2000 within 150 miles from me.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
You know what...I can grab a box from the Pull A Part place if you're interested. PM me...we can work something out.

Did you try disconnecting the sunload sensor? Curious what the results are... Just pop up the defrost grille and unplug it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ May 26 2010, 09:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807126
You know what...I can grab a box from the Pull A Part place if you're interested. PM me...we can work something out.

Did you try disconnecting the sunload sensor? Curious what the results are... Just pop up the defrost grille and unplug it.[/b]
Thanks Nick. I might just take you up on the offer.

I disconnected the sunload sensor. Same thing, code 051, no autolamp at least with daylight. I understand that the computer would always think it's night with sunload sensor unplugged, right?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
QUOTE (hhu168 @ May 26 2010, 11:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807141
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ May 26 2010, 09:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807126

Did you try disconnecting the sunload sensor? Curious what the results are... Just pop up the defrost grille and unplug it.[/b]
Thanks Nick. I might just take you up on the offer.

I disconnected the sunload sensor. Same thing, code 051, no autolamp at least with daylight. I understand that the computer would always think it's night with sunload sensor unplugged, right?
[/b][/quote]
Correct. If the sensor is unplugged your car should have all the lights on. Very interesting. Just for the heck of it (probably won't help) tried disconnecting and reconnecting the negative battery cable? See if that clears out anything?

The yard usually charges me $25 for the whole CJB/GEM combo. This will include a new master keypad code. but you can also swap your old GEM onto the new one.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ May 27 2010, 12:01 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807145
Just for the heck of it (probably won't help) tried disconnecting and reconnecting the negative battery cable? See if that clears out anything?[/b]
The condition has been there for a few months. I replaced the battery two weeks ago, didn't help.

The yard usually charges me $25 for the whole CJB/GEM combo. This will include a new master keypad code. but you can also swap your old GEM onto the new one.[/b]
$25 sounds good.

Just to make sure, it is the GEM that needs replacing, not the CJB, right? Does the master keypad code comes with the CJB or the GEM? My understanding is the former.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (outatyme @ May 27 2010, 12:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807150
have you changed out your sunload sensor yet? this would have been the first thing I would have done.[/b]
No. I plan to visit the yards this weekend. I need a sunload sensor and a coolant tank -- coolant sensor is bad.

I disconnected the sunload sensor the symptom remains the same.

·
Registered
346 Posts
change the sunload sensor. then if that doesnt fix it then i'd move on to the relays / GEM (i've gotten a bad G4 sunload sensor from the j/y before)

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
QUOTE (outatyme @ May 27 2010, 02:40 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807162
change the sunload sensor. then if that doesnt fix it then i'd move on to the relays / GEM (i've gotten a bad G4 sunload sensor from the j/y before)[/b]
But he's having the reverse issue...even with it disconnected the headlights remain off...they should be on. That's why I think he's correct in wanting to replace the CJB/GEM.

hhu168...the relays that control that are integral to the fusebox/CJB. The GEM sends out signals to the CJB. You'll get the conglomerate if I find a good one.\

Heck...any interest in a 02-03 GEM with the lighted unlock feature (plug and play)? Price is no different. Also the car dings at things it previously did not ding to.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ May 27 2010, 07:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807301
change the sunload sensor. then if that doesnt fix it then i'd move on to the relays / GEM (i've gotten a bad G4 sunload sensor from the j/y before)[/b]
But he's having the reverse issue...even with it disconnected the headlights remain off...they should be on. That's why I think he's correct in wanting to replace the CJB/GEM.

hhu168...the relays that control that are integral to the fusebox/CJB. The GEM sends out signals to the CJB. You'll get the conglomerate if I find a good one.\

Heck...any interest in a 02-03 GEM with the lighted unlock feature (plug and play)? Price is no different. Also the car dings at things it previously did not ding to.
[/b][/quote]

Thanks Nick.

I was told by a yard that they have a '00 that just arrived yesterday. They guy doesn't know if it's an SES or an SE so I will pay them a visit tomorrow.

How do I tell if the CJB/GEM combo is good?

Can I use a 02-03 GEM on my car? I thought you said I couldn't?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
QUOTE (hhu168 @ May 27 2010, 11:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807366
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ May 27 2010, 07:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807301

[/b][/quote]

Thanks Nick.

I was told by a yard that they have a '00 that just arrived yesterday. They guy doesn't know if it's an SES or an SE so I will pay them a visit tomorrow.

How do I tell if the CJB/GEM combo is good?

Can I use a 02-03 GEM on my car? I thought you said I couldn't?
[/b][/quote]
Check the VIN... If it goes 1FAFP53 it's an SE, P55 is an SES, and a P56 is an SEL. The SE *may* have the remote capability, but there are no exterior markings so you can tell...it techically came standard on the P53 model, but fleet delete...

The only way you can tell is to hook it up in your car and try...

This is a view from the side: http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/uploads/mo...-1245242693.jpg

The CJB must be from a 2000, as the wiring that plugs into it is a 2000 only setup. Oh and you are correct, unless you install a 2001+ keypad (same design, fewer wires), then the newer style GEM won't work that snaps onto the back. Good call!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts