Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2001 Taurus SEL with the 24V DOHC does not indicate in the “instrument cluster” which gear it is in while it is running.

There appears to be a blank area at the bottom of that cluster but it stays dark. The only fuse that looked like it should be, as I read it, was 37 Transmission Position Switch. I changed that fuse but still no gear indication.

Need your help to tell me if this model should display the gear in the instrument cluster and if it should, which fuse needs to be checked?

·
Super Moderator
8,625 Posts
I assume you have a floor shift? If so, that rectangle is just a cutout..... no PRNDL to light up. Ford saved a few $$ by using the same part on floor and column shift Tauri.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply, but just to make sure that I understand your comment............the model has an automatic transmission and the manual seems to indicate that the driving gear would be seen on the dash board.

So do you mean that on this model they saved the money and deleted the dash board indication that indicated which gear you were in when driving?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Floor shift/console shift Tauruses and Sables since 1997 have just had the indicator on the floor next to the shifter. 96 models had redundant gear indicators (in place of that blank out plate and on the floor)
Column shift/granny shifter models all have an indicator.

Always wondered if you could "rig" up a column shift indicator to work on a floor shift model somehow...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the explanation. I understand what you wrote. Seems strange that on many pages in the 2001 Taurus manual it shows that grey blank on the auto’s actual dashboard, as having P R N D D 1. You would think that if it shows it………..you should have it. It also seems strange that this error in the manual went through without notice or comment.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I bought one of the rectangular light set up from a '96 with the intention of installing it. You would have to run wires from the TRS to the switch for each of the positions.

It's kind of stupid as it only shows you what postion the TRS is in and not really what gear you are in.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I bought one of the rectangular light set up from a '96 with the intention of installing it. You would have to run wires from the TRS to the switch for each of the positions.

It's kind of stupid as it only shows you what postion the TRS is in and not really what gear you are in.
Oh wow, that's what it showing from...maybe that's why they dumped it...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts