Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

At what mileage did your transmission need replaced?

• <50,000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • <75,000

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 50.0%

Votes: 1 50.0%
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 97 Taurus, this morning i was taking the kids to day care, the car went in reverse fine. Once i got to daycare though the car did not want to go into park or reverse. therefore I left the car in neutral and sht it off. One i got back i could not start it. I made sure it was in neutral cause i moved the car about 10 feet by pushing it. The shifter will move up to P and R but will not actually change the gears. I noticed since we bought it a few months ago it was always hard to get it out of park and to another gear. Once out of park through it would shift fine. Right now if can shift from N to OD, D and 1 and back up to N, but will not shift into R or P. Could it be the actual shifter, cable or linkage. Someone said it could a pin as well. Any help from you experienced owners is much appreicated. Thank you!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Did you check your neutral safety switch,also called transmission range sensor? It is what connects your column shifter with the transmission allowing you to select park, reverse,neutral and the forward gears. Its is located on top of the transaxle near the brake master cylinder. It is a black switch with a plug harness attached and a small cable on top that selects the various gears as you move the gear selector maybe yours has gone bad or has some how become disconnected.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Could be a bad cable or loose piece on the end of the shifter assembly, assuming it's a column shift car. Check to see if the bolt holding the piece that the cable connects to at the bottom of the shifter assembly is tight. Look for it above the brake pedal under the dash.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts