Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was bored the other day and decided to change the boring green to blue.... Here are the things that you will need:

Blue (or color of your choice) touch-up paint
1000grit sand paper

I chose blue touch up paint that you apply with a brush to give it a textured, crystal look... if you'd like it more consistent and stock looking, id recomend spray paint, or even some sort of colored plastic.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First you need to remove the plastic trim that goes around the plastic gear indicator plate as shown in the picture blow.. it just snaps out.. so grab towards the front of it and pull gently..

Next you'll need to remove the plastic gear indicator plate that is around the shifter... its held on by 4 snaps.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The next step is to remove this plastic green colored bar that is held on by 2 clips... its what gives the gear indicator lettering/numbering the green tint... the top of it is colored white, so try not to miss it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now scratch off the green paint with any sharp edge... be careful not to dig in too deep, or itll extend the time required for the next steps completion.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now, take the sand paper and strip the rest of the green coloring off the plastic piece... sand until its all gone, and the surface is smooth.

Attachments

·
Registered
702 Posts
I tried to change the color by just changing the light bulbs once. I didn't know you could scratch off the green stuff... :blink:

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Paint a thin coat of paint over the plastic piece... not too thick for the light will not pass through it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After the paint drives, reassemble the plastic piece, and all trim pieces.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is how the finished result looks! Remember, if you'd rather prefer a more stock look, use a more consistent painting method such as spray paint.

Attachments

·
Registered
702 Posts
Sweet! I might try your way and use a brush. That looks really nice and classy.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Looks good Jess :thumb:

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
That looks really awesome...I think Baby SHO changed the leds in his center console so that they were blue. That looked badass also.

JR

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Looks good. I'm going to be doing the blue light swap before too long, I plan to do everything that currently looks green however.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Looks really good! :eek:

·
Registered
746 Posts
sweet man, i recently did the exact same in my '03, only i used the spray paint.

one thing i might add: instead of using a blade to scrape the factory green off the piece, use laquer thinner. takes it off in a matter of seconds, has no risk of damaging the piece, and it leaves a nice clean surface that is already prepped to pait ;)

also be careful about the oarnge piece that lets you know which gear you are in, it falls apart easily :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts