Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Gauge Cluster

961 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  qwertz9586 
#1 ·
To anyone that can help...

While replacing my gauges Sunday (putting on white faced gauges), I must've screwed up my cluster. My speedo won't go over 58, and once it gets there, it gets stuck and I have to tap the cluster to get it to move down (won't move up). I'm assuming that I've either burned something out or cracked something...done something bad...

I've resigned myself to just buying a new cluster. My problem is that once I get the new cluster, how do I get the odometer adjusted so that it's "official" in the eyes of the NJ Motor Vehicle Services. I don't want to have trouble selling the car down the line. Also, I'm sure this has been posted before, but will the 1999 gauge cluster work on a 1998? Like this one?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

JR

#2 ·
So I think I've decided that I'm going to wait a day or two and see if a set of Gen III SHO gauges sho(w) up on eBay. Hopefully I'll be able to get them.

As for anyone facing the same problem as me, I called a local Ford dealership, and was told the following: I could bring the car with the old gauges installed, and they can attest to the mileage. They can then roll up the new gauges to the correct mileage and I can install them. They will then send a form to the NJ MVS department of Database Corrections, and another to the company that monitors Ford odometers. Once that's done, i should be fine!

JR

#4 ·
Originally posted by Firespirit@Aug 24 2004, 04:33 PM
You could also follow Adam's how-to on making your odometer the right mileage.
that's an idea. removing the cluster is one thing...taking it apart is a whole new ballpark :)

but yeah jr, look on ebay. last time i tried to get a new cluster, they wanted me to pay over $200 for a USED one...so i bought one off ebay for $30, and this one looks a LOT better than the standard

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=33675

that one says it's for 98, but if it's just like the taurus, any gen3 will work, they'll just have different-colored borders maybe or something. there are cheaper ones if you wanna just get a gen3 one. that's the only one i could find that says "98 sable"

#8 ·
Well, that's what I heard to do as an alternative to taking the cluster apart. Just take off the clear lense, then use the pencil to push the number dials in the odometer up and down to the appropriate number.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.