Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how hard is it to swap a guage cluster from like 1990-95 sho into a non-sho model. I would like to have a tach and a speedo that reads more than 85. also if i do a swap is the a way to change the odometer to the right mileage?

B

·
0 Posts
Pretty easy actually. Take out the bezel, remove a few screws, electrical connectors, and the speedo cable, and swap the new one in.

I'm not sure how to adjust mileage on the new cluster though, but I imagine it can be done.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Easy, just be careful when handling the gauges; the speedo in particular as that uses a wound up spring/weight on the needle combo for proper calibration. It might be a little hard to disconnect the speedo cable, but I did what Hamal did in his writeup (look in the modifications section on the main TCCA site) and pushed the cable into the firewall as much as I can from under the hood before proceeding. I changed my odometer according to the writeup on the main TCCA site. Only thing to be careful of is to know where to lineup the numbers - I had to do this a couple of times as once I lined up the correct mileage, I realized that it wasn't showing through the little cutout in the speedo face properly.

Also remember to put some grease in the connection between the speedo and cable. I didn't check to see if the new cluster had enough grease on it and now I hear a whirring sound coming from the speedo at 0-20 mph.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts