Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was wondering if anyone has ever modded the gauge lights to have a different backlight other than the green. i like the black face. but i hate the green color, so i dont want to change the whole face, just the color.
if its just LEDs, and they're not soldered to a circuit board. that would not be a problem at all. just wondering what i would be getting my self into before i even took the thing apart.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
The stock lights are not LEDs, they are regular non-tinted bulbs. The face is tinted green, causing the light to appear green. If you run a colored LED, you will get a dim output at best. If you want to change color, you need to replace the faces, which are not bad priced through SHOSource.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The stock lights are not LEDs, they are regular non-tinted bulbs. The face is tinted green, causing the light to appear green. If you run a colored LED, you will get a dim output at best. If you want to change color, you need to replace the faces, which are not bad priced through SHOSource.
Or to make it even cheaper, I read on here some where that the green tint can be taken off with either nail polish remover or some alcohol rub.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Or to make it even cheaper, I read on here some where that the green tint can be taken off with either nail polish remover or some alcohol rub.
yes the film can be removed with rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs. worst part is breaking the glue between the gauge face and the cluster. the bulbs are the standard 194 bulb and you can get LED replacements in just about any color you want. i have done this to 2 different clusters and i may do it to my SHO as well.

Yes, and O4 face will fit a 2000. I'm pretty sure they are all the same from 2000 - 2007.
no the gauge faces are the same on
1996-98 vulcan engine cars speedo to 110
1996-2003 duratec engine cars also same as 99 to 03 vulcan cars. speedo to 120
and then 04 to 07 got the message center and gauge cluster changed significantly

·
Registered
155 Posts
Number of lights

How many lights are there under the gauge cluster? I have a 2000, and I ordered 6 of the 194 replacement bulbs from superbrightleds. I assumed there were less than 6, but I want to make sure so I can order more before I change mine out.

Edit: I also bought the 120 degree version. Will that work, or was 90 degree a better choice?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.