Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2000 Taurus SES (24V). I live in Michigan (cold!!!!!!!!!!)

The gas pedal seems to be sticking and you have to push kinda hard at times to get moving. Obviously when you do this you take off like a shot. Any idea what the problem is? Any idea where to spray lubricant? <_<

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by drmurdoc@Jan 17 2004, 12:08 PM
I have 2000 Taurus SES (24V). I live in Michigan (cold!!!!!!!!!!)

The gas pedal seems to be sticking and you have to push kinda hard at times to get moving. Obviously when you do this you take off like a shot. Any idea what the problem is? Any idea where to spray lubricant? <_<
To be honest with you, i think thats normal. I experience the same thing with my car, same year and engine as yours. Be careful what you spray and where you spray it. There was a recall on our cars for grease getting into the fuse area and causing stuff to short out. I know cause it happened to my wheels.

-D

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I had this problem on my '97 SHO. At th4e throttle body where the cable attachs there is an outer plastic sheath the cable is pushed up into. Mine would hang up hear. I applied some graphite here and have had no problems since.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Gas pedal sticking is usually from the throttle body, not at the pedal itself. You usually need to clean all the gunk out of it (Blame the PCV system for part of that crud) and then it will be fine.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I own a 98 Sable, and my gas pedal stick for the first maybe 1/8th of the throtle, but then it kinda (pops?) and starts to work freely again. I have no idea whats doing this, and it only does it when it really cold, so I don't get too worried about it.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Easiest way to clean the TB is to take it off. There is a carbon build up behind it that the plate sticks on when first opening up.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Originally posted by sundarpn@Jan 18 2004, 06:18 PM
couldnt it be the acclerator cable
Usually an accelerator cable going bad will cause slack and make the gas pedal feel too loose, not tight. Sticking will almost always be because of the throttle body not being able to open easily because of carbon buildup.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts