Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By the way i have a 1999 sable wagon with the vulcan and i drive kinda fast but lately not really
K, i filled up my car the other day and i did the math and i ended up burning 15.4l per 100km (too lazy to do the mpg conversion so if someone wouldnt mind doing that that would be cool)
i dunno but that doesnt seem normal i mean wtf?? suvs burn that much
If you guys could just fill me in on why i might be burning so much that would be cool, thx
:05:

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
My 98 Duratec gets 22 MPG. High of 27, low of 16

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Are you sure that's right? That's horrible! My math indicates 0.07 MPG. :eek:

If you ment 15.4 L/km, then you're getting 6.6 MPG, which is still horrible.

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
You sure you converted that right?

100 km ~ 62 miles

15.4L ~ 4 gallons

62 miles/4 gallons ~ 15 MPG

Which still isn't great, but much much better then .007...

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I suck at simple math when my brain's stuck in a higher mode. I screwed up the conversion. Ok, so it's 15. That's still pretty bad for the Vulcan. Have you done a lot of idling?

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Qwertz9586@Sep 16 2004, 07:00 PM
I suck at simple math when my brain's stuck in a higher mode. I screwed up the conversion. Ok, so it's 15. That's still pretty bad for the Vulcan. Have you done a lot of idling?
nope and i dont drive close to as fast as i used to....well almost
i dont do 100mph on the highway like i used to...well alot less
think there might be something wrong with the engine?

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Qwertz9586@Sep 16 2004, 06:38 PM
Are you sure that's right? That's horrible! My math indicates 0.07 MPG. :eek:

If you ment 15.4 L/km, then you're getting 6.6 MPG, which is still horrible.
...k im not driving an excursion there

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Have you done a tune-up? Or make sure the tires are properly inflated? And you're not hauling around unneccessery weight?

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Qwertz9586@Sep 17 2004, 07:20 PM
Have you done a tune-up? Or make sure the tires are properly inflated? And you're not hauling around unneccessery weight?
yup 60k maintenance was done everything seems fine, i take care of the tires, im always hauling alot of stuff but nothing heavy so it dont change nothing
the car is well taking care of lets just say

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
humm weird cuz me iput about 60 litre of gaz and i do about 400 450 km of city and highway if this help if im doing higway only i get about 750 km for a gaz tank

so home this help you better and my car is like in real top shape

the only thing i can think of is a started clogged cat may reduce gaz mileage air filer and gaz filter

?

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by mooby@Sep 17 2004, 10:48 PM
humm weird cuz me iput about 60 litre of gaz and i do about 400 450 km of city and highway if this help if im doing higway only i get about 750 km for a gaz tank

so home this help you better and my car is like in real top shape

the only thing i can think of is a started clogged cat may reduce gaz mileage air filer and gaz filter

?
...pardon?
you telling me its either my cats, air filter or gaz filter thats messing up my mileage?

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
yes

if your air filter is really clog up it can get a drain on your gaz mileage

if your or one of your cat is starting to clog it will make your gas mileage drop
to test it run your car like hell and then check underneat if the cat a red they are clogged up

and the gaz filter can make your car put more pressure on the line because it having problem pushing the gas

that the best thing i could find unless you have brake problem or even bereing problem or just a really dirty car on the inside ?

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by mooby@Sep 18 2004, 03:16 PM
if your air filter is really clog up it can get a drain on your gaz mileage
that the best thing i could find unless you have brake problem or even bereing problem or just a really dirty car on the inside ?
Not the bearing i think cause it was changed resently but im not sure if it was installed properly
Been having trouble with my left front but i think its just an unbalanced wheel
Probably the air filter, i had a bird clogging up my air intake a while ago and there was all kinds of crap in the filter, mostly bird feathers which i took out but the filter was pretty recent so i didnt bother changing it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts